Pain pain pain after ankle surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I slipt on ice on 12/23/17 Saturday. I went to ER. Determined my ankle was broken and fabia and wrapped in splint and gave me crutches. The oncall Dr. Set me up with ortho Dr. The following Friday after Christmas. I went to Dr. Set a appt for surgery the following week Jan 3, 2018. That was yesterday. The pain during pre op was nothing to what I'm experiencing now. I was only taking ibuprofen 800 pre op and now Dr prescribed hydro 7.5 with aceatphetmine. I take 1 or 2 every 4 hours and still the pain is so intense i cannot sleep. I'm crying in pain as I type this. I called the Dr office today to be told it will subside. I think my cast is also causing pain by pinching my ankle. Mind you, the Dr office is an hour away from where I reside. Like I mentioned I didn't have this near if pain up on first couple of weeks only post op. I expected some pain but not this much! Honestly this far sees over any other surgery I've ever has including giving birth to twins c section. I just so want to take a sleeping pill to be able to sleep. But I know it isn't wise to do so while taking pain meds. I'm just at a loss. I want to know what to say to my surgeon to get a different medication or if I should just call my regular home Dr. I hope to get some rest...everywhere i hear and read say to rest rest rest...but I cant...and I'm going literally out of my mind bonkers. Please tell me something positive and more importantly pray for me to be able to get some rest. Oh and pray for my husband and 7 year old.. as I am very certain I'm on their last nerve.

ss Jodi, pained in MT

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gosh, when you called the Dr's office today and were told the pain would subside did they tell you when??  If not, I would give it one day and if you don't feel improvement I'd call back.  Also, ask about if a sleeping pill would hurt considering the other meds.  I'd call your regular local doctor to and see what they have to say.  Perhaps the 2 practices could work together on getting you comfortable so that you can rest and heal.  Are you able to keep your ankle raised above the level of your heart?  Keeping your leg raised as much as possible will help with any swelling that may cause pain considering you are in a cast.  Also remember your surgery was very recent and the doctor may not have had a simple job to get all those ankle bones back into place.  Try not to stress out because healing takes longer than we think it will.  Take deep breathes and be thankful for your family.  I'm sure they feel helpless to help you.  Give them big hugs because it will make you feel better too......anything to try to switch your mind onto anything other than pain.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi jodi1971,

Wow its hard when your Dr. says "your pain will subside". I would keep calling both the surgeon's office and your reg. Drs. office. They should know how that everyone experiences pain differently. And if the cast feels odd maybe go back and have it checked out again. When I broke my fibula they gave me oxycodone post op. And yes it was needed. Your family will be alright. Good luck...

• Posted

Hi again, it is now the following monday post op (5 days since surgery) and i wanted to give an update. First of all i just want to say thank you for those of you whom replied. To know someone is actually listening is welcoming, especially to us who may feel helpless. Secondly i cannot stress enough just how important prayers work. I sought prayers via my personal social media accts and within hours prayers were answered.

I did end up phoning my local Dr. Plus she had nurses who had seen my facebook post. She immediatly worked along side of my surgeon and was able to prescribe some other pain meds which were indeed the answer. I hadnt slept for 42 hours and within an hour of taking my new prescription, i slept like a baby for 10.5 hours. Woohooo! Ive been getting sleep each night and only take that particular precription at night before bed.

My ankle and leg seem to be healing fairly well. I am experiancing itchiness at site of wound(which i take a itch med tablet).plus i feel the stitches stretching which im assuming is from the healing. Im taking my ibuprophen during day still which helps with pain, but the pain is nothing near the first couple of days.

My husband works many days out of town so hes not home alot to assist but my 7 year old has been my rock.

I do use crutches, a walker and wheelchair. The wheelchair is the best by far in getting around. Im able to get in and out of my bed now, but use recliner during daytime hours and is very comfy with elevating my leg with two pillows.

Only stress i have well is work. I miss my occupation, amd of course being able to do daily chores and driving. Only time ive been out of house is surgery and dr. appts. [2 x]

I am suppose to travel in 2 weeks so i wonder if ill be able to travel. Lets hope i can get a knee scooter before then.

Thats my update.

Jodi in Montana

• Posted

So glad to hear that your prayers were answered and that the drs finally came through for you. Pain and not sleeping is a bad combination. Also be careful on the knee scooter I got too comfortable with mine and I fell off it (watch those turns). Hang in there...
  • Posted

Good to hear that things are looking up for you.  I rented a knee scooter for a month and loved having it.  A couple of things to keep in mind:  Mine was pretty heavy and somewhat hard to get in the car trunk after we collapsed the thing.  It will really go fast so be sure to use the hand brakes especially if you are on a slope.  It doesn't do steps!  Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.