Pain post ankle orif surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it normal to have strong pain in the Physio stage post ankle orif surgery?  I fell in December, went to a&e the next day after accepting it wasn’t a sprain! I had a Weber b fracture to the right ankle and potential instability. They manipulated my ankle and cast it then repeated the whole thing 5 days later both times I had gas as pain relief. Long story but after 6 weeks cast was removed and I was put in a boot and asked to walk on it.  I did but it was really painful.  After a few days I decided to ask for another opinion, this resulted in surgery being recommended asap.  8 weeks post injury I had orif surgery, plate & screws and long screw through both fibula and tibia due to instability.  I am now about 9 weeks post surgery, I’ve been weight bearing for 3 weeks.  This last week I’ve started Physio and it really hurts!  I’ve reverted to taking codine to sleep but still wake up every couple of hours.  Is this normal, just another phase?? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Pain is normal. Especially if your are in your physical therapy as you are using muscules you haven’t used in a while and have lost their strength.

If you have a long screw, it may be time for that to come out. I am having my long screw removed Monday due to pain. Ask your doctor at your next visit if you need it taken out.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I have an appointment in a couple of months to talk about possibly removing the screws.  I’ll just keep going & take the pain relief. 

• Posted

Move your appointment up. That’s what I did. My screw wasn’t supposed to come out til June but he’s gonna take it out early do to the amount of pain I’m in. That would be your best option.
  • Posted

Is your foot still somewhat numb cuz mine is still numb and but it's been 5 weeks Wednesday

• Posted

No, no numbness! I’ve had pins & needles and shooting pain but that’s all passed now. 

• Posted

I always hurt the day after physical therapy at your stage too. I'm about 5 weeks ahead of you and it does get easier. Are you weight bearing in shoes or just the boot?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.