Pain Psychologist

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All followers got this as the next pain rehab referral having previously made no progress with depression and anxiety and CBT diary sheets and books but no be could take me

Has anybody been down this road which is my next Iain rehab direction of referral previously failed depressionand anxiety and CBT diary sheets and scenarios books etc history too complex in family life anyone relate

julia54537

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there Julia, you WILL find your way..it's just good that you have doctors that care enough to keep referring you on, so you can find real help..hope all goes well for you really soon.. sorry I have not been down this road to be able to offer any real help...have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Hi Julia;   I was referred to a Pain Psychiatrist...and got more angry....so I then researched  a Psychologist who understood Fibro/CFS and found her to help me....she validated my symptoms (it was very good knowing it was not all in my head)....she then moved onto giving me some coping mechanisms....I probably went to 3 sessions....what I found between the Psychiatrist and the Psychologist, was that I could relate to her easier/felt she was on my level.....not just handing out "sites" on Pain Management, as the Psychiatrist had done....give it a try and hopefully you are lucky as I was with Psychologist....but if you cannot/don't feel you are being Understood, seek your own Psychologist.....Bron
  • Posted

Hi Julia

The wait for CBT was so  long for me that I sought independent advice and went down the hypnotherapy route. I have been really pleased with the results.We seem to spend the first hour or so chatting and then the hypnotherapy part follows.  I am lucky in that I managed to save enough money to do a good few sessions however not sure what will happen in the future but the therapist thinks will only need top up ones occasionally after the end of the month.  I realise not everyone is in a position to cover the costs but the reduction in my pain/or my ability to cope with it has made me think it was worth every penny.

• Posted

Hi Maggers;  I have often thought re trying to be Hyptnotised.....two things that have stalled me is 1)....do you feel safe being by yourself while under, and 2) being such a Deep and Self-controlled person, how does the practitioner get me relaxed enough to be allowed to go under the hypnosis?    I have always felt that if I could really let out all of my inner feelings, that maybe I wouldn't be so emotionally bound up......maybe this should be another discussion, but am interested.....Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bronwyn

It is very important to find a hypnotherapist who is registered with the relevant authorities. I contacted several and all offered a telephone consult free of charge to discuss things and what they thought they could offer me and whether we could work together.  I chose one I had an instant rapport with someone down to earth and interested in my particular problems.   I chose to go to a female therapist.  You are totally in control even when you are under hypnosis and can bring yourself "out of it" immediately should you so choose. It is not like the stage hypnosis and you are not asked to do silly things or silly suggestions made. My therapist starts with an hour or so of chat and then a deep relaxation hypnotherapy of about 30 minutes where she makes suggestions to the "inner me".  I come out of the sessions totally revitalised and actually able to sleep well that night.  I am a total control freak so was unsure whether it would work for me but have to say I love it and it has helped so much.  It is not a cure all and I do have to do my bit by listening to a CD every day but it is a small price to pay and 25 minutes out of my day to have me thinking positively and able to do things which I know without it I would not do.   I am definitely a convert!

• Posted

Thankyou Maggers; I am seriously thinking of trying same, and will certainly do my research before trialing.....much appreciate your info......Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.