Pain related panic attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

In between doctors and recently diagnosed with major back problems. Sending me into anxiety and panic he'll! Scared to go out in public or get into a vehicle. Afraid of hurting back even more. On effexor and it isn't helping

Have a psych appointment tomorrow and want back on clonazepam. Reading that it helps muscle spasms as well.

Anyone else experience this before? What should I say tomorrow, besides what's going on?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean, in 2014 I prolapsed a disc in my back, was unable to walk and in excruciating pain for over a year and a half. Meds didn't help. Physiotherapy dis wonders but it's hard work and takes time so don't be discouraged if it doesn't feel better and may feel worse initially,but stick with it. Psychotherapy also helped me mentally,i felt I was having a breakdown throughout it

• Posted

Well, don't ask for clonazepam, Jamie. It is highly addictive.

Get some physio or see an osteopath.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, I was on Effexor once and it made me very anxious. I reckon you can just say to the psych that you felt more relaxed on clonazepam, if you've been on it before? He/she is there to make you feel better at the end of the day!

Sorry you've got back problems aswell, (I have a dodgy disc) it's definitely a lot worse if you're physically tense, so if you can relieve it with physio, like jmcg says... I also found the rub-in neurofen good if you don't want to take any more pills.

Let us know what's said tomorrow!

• Posted

I do hope that Jamie won't be given a benzodiazepine to help. They are more difficult to come off than heroin.

I know doctors are there to make people feel better, but assisting them in becoming addicted to benzos isn't helpful.

• Posted

First of all, I was on 2 mg x3 a day before for my disabling panic disorder and anxiety. Was successful before, just had to we in off them is all. Not everyone abuses pharmaceutical meds, some people just plain have a chemical imbalance in their brain and need these meds. My attacks have put me in the back of an ambulance more than once with my bp 160/105. So I think I have every right to want put back on what I know works.
    • Posted

Of course you have that right, Jamie.

I hope you get what you need. Obviously you know the risks of benzos. You've come off them before.

I was badly addicted to them, so I always worry when they are suggested.

You make your own choice, absolutely.

• Posted

I hope you feel better. They have many meds to ease muscle oain and they will calm you as well. Not just klonopin out there. There all newer research that muscle relaxants are useful for anxiety too. Flexural will be joining gabapentin in anxiety off the label usage.
    • Posted

I take flexiral at night now, so I can sleep. They don't do anything for my anxiety. I have woken out of sleep and had a full blown panic attack. It's crazy. My fears are getting the best of me. I'm worrying too much about things that may never happen but in my mind are happening now. Scared to get in a car, might get in an accident. Uuuggghh

Chest pains!

• Posted

It sounds awful, Jamie, and I'm sorry you're going through this.

I now take gabapentin and it really helps me.

I see that Lisa has suggested it already.

I really hope you get some help, whatever it is, soon.

• Posted

Wow. You just killed that study. So sorry. 

Are you on any other medications at all? Have you checked your thyroid. And is you blood pressure in check? Theres other things that can mimic anxiety symptoms but arent thought provoked.

i know its so hard to believe right now but this will pass. Just be very sure your are eating because sugar keeps vels can mess up too. 

Would it help you, if you wrote all your fears out on here? Then people can respond to them maybe offer up some useful advise.

i will share a secret with you. One i learned throught my life. Many only have their own life experiences and their own very limited knowledge to call upon when they are scared. What happens from that is your own conclusion are usually self limited and incomplete. Also when you throw your thoughts into the future so much your body and mind have zero clue its not real. So you basically form your responses and reactions in advance then the situation pops up and your body and mind are like ...its all good we practiced this so much already...you programmed us now we know this is dangerous and scary so we know how to respond..boom you get a full blown panic attack.

Anxious people or people with a negative thought process cant predict a decent future. So very bad idea to attatch yourself to any outcomes.

• Posted

Wow Jamie .. I thought I was the only person on earth that had ever been awakened by a full blown panic attack .. My heart goes out to you... I totally. Get it !
  • Posted

Be honest and tell the therapist everything they are the people who will recognise Any underlying issues .open up that's the first move to handling the anxiety ads mithai it's there and it's a problem .I fear driving nadia my back also hurts all the time and I fear the worst with everything but family reassurances help me think straight and be rational about my thoughts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.