pain relief?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I am in the middle of a miserable flare at the moment. Probably because my family are coming for a holiday with us and I am trying to catch up with housework that has been seriously neglected lately.( due to this awful illness) Pain is really making me feel miserable. I am on 8 co-codomol a day and pregabalin twice daily. They don't really do anyhing to help pain. I dread waking up in the morning as that's when it's at it's worst. Does anyone out there have good pain relief and if so please let me know what meds you are on so I can ask my doctor for same to see if it would work for me. x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it seems odd but I'm always worse when it's hot, maybe you're the same. I have morphine patches for pain, sometimes I feel it isn't working but if I forget to change it after 7days I realise it is. They are called BuTrans, I'm on the highest strength, it was an excellent rheumatologist who told my doctor to prescribe them. See if you can give them a try, I think they may be a last resort but if it works who cares!
    • Posted

Thanks Shelagh for answering my question so quickly. My name is Lin by the way ...SORE  LIN! I am in Scotland so it's never really too hot. But I must admit that last summer I got very exhausted easily. Where do you live? I will certainly mention the BuTrans to my doctor and hopefully he will prescribe it for me. I would do or take anything to get pain relief. Thanks again and good luck x
  • Posted

Hi sorelin

I'm having some difficulty also over the last couple of days. shelagh6 may be right about warm weather, although it's only the last couple of days the pain has increased. For what its worth I  was finally diagnosed last January, put on amitripyline 10mg, then increased to 20mg after 3 weeks. Because of bad headaches I was moved to pregabalin, but then found big weight gain and confusion, Plus pain was not controlled.

So I chose to go back to amit, currently been on 10mg for three weeks.Do I assume you have tried amit? If not, worth a go.

Hope ths helps

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris ive been perscribed pregabolin as well an read about the weight gain ,ive put a stone on already through anti-depressants an really dont want to put anymore on but the pain is unbearable an my Doctor is really not easy to talk to !
    • Posted

Hi Chris. I have been on Amitripyline for last four years. My doctor put them on them to help with non specific back pain. (four years before my fibro diagnosis) but I only take them when sleep becomes a real issue as they knock me out (30mg )But I absolutely hate the hung over feeling I get in the morning so I try to put up with the sleeplessness for as long as possible. You have scared me a bit about the weight gain with pregabalin. I have only been on it for two months and I don't find any difference with my pain but I certainly can't afford any more weight. My weight has increased this last year anyway with me being drastically less active because of pain and tiredness. Oh what a moaner I sound! Sorry but sometimes it gets to me and I miss the 'ME' I was before. Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Lin, I'm in Cumbria, just off the M6, not far from Scotland at all. I have a daughter lives in Aberdeen I love the Highlands. Ii have been taking Amitryptiline for years, I take 55mg, told by gp to go up to 75mg if necessary but 55 seems ok. I don't have much in the way of side effects just a dry mouth.  Pregabalin had terrible side effects for me, my blood pressure plummeted and I passed out all the time. It is trial and error but you really need to give some meds 3 month to settle in properly. It's cooler today but pain isn't much better if at all.

take care, hope you feel better soon.

s x

• Posted

I take nitrazepam, Subutex (buprenorphine) and pregablin and sometimes diazepam during the day. This keeps it in check some what but unfortunalty there addictive and i doubt your Quack would give you them because of the potetial abuse but do ask.

Subutex is good because unlike tramadol subutex is long acting 24hours. The cost is addiction because its similar to morphine and methodone. I would rather put up with that than go through this horrid pain. Fibro makes another meaning of the word pain. Good luck with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi shoreline, ask your doctor to give  you antidepressants to  see if they help, they are very good for both pain relief and very low moods  (which are as crippling as the pain) also tramadol can give quite good pain control, enough to help you function. The  hard to deal with symptoms  are the total exhaustion and loss of interest in things that used to be enjoyable (I dread holidays). You have to try to get as much help as you can, also ask about physiotherapy,  Do not push yourself too much either, it is hard not to feel guilty about the things you cannot do, but it is never by choice.  Please try to get all the pain relief you need to make life easier and more enjoyable. I wish you all the very best and sincerely hope that you feel a lot better soon.take care and be kind to yourself.   Deirdre. X 
    • Posted

Hi Deirdre, Thanks for your kind words. It always helps to have the support and understanding of the people on this forum. When I get a reply it always feels like chatting to friends. I have been on antidepressants for about four years when I had terrible back ache with no apparent cause. (maybe the start of the fibro?) They never have helped me with pain but do give me a grear night's sleep when I really need one. (feel hung over in the morning though but sometimes worth it.) I have tried tramadol and they did help but made me very sick. Do you get over this with use or were you always ok with them? I hate throwing up so I maybe didn't give them a chance.Some people have been put on morphine patches..Butrans...and have sung their praises. Have you ever tried these. I am trying to get lots of good pain relief ideas as I have an appointment with my consultant later this month and I want to ask his advice on them. I must admit I do push myself at times to do things. I find it hard to accept I am not as fit as I was two years ago. I even sneakily do things when my husband is at work after promising him I will take it easy. I am my own worst enemy I know but it stops me getting too depressed. I have never been offered physiotherapy but I will discuss that when I go to appointment. Hope you are good at the moment and thanks again for all the info you gave me. I live just outside Edinburgh and at the moment it is absolutely pouring and tomorrow apparently so no chance of lazing about in the garden. Couch and television here I come! (again)! Take care.  Lin x
    • Posted

Hi shoreline, 

Many thanks for your reply. I have been very lucky medication wise, I have had no problems with pregabalin, tramadol, sertraline, co codamol,  anti inflamatories, HRT, and simvastatin, and at other times more medication on top. However if any medication does not agree with you after a week or two then always change it. I found that amitriptyline was also a great help, I try not to worry about how much medication I have to take, if it helps I can do so much more which makes me feel so much better inside. I am going to have physiotherapy at our local hospital, which luckily is just down the road, but I find the best thing is to be totally engrossed in doing something (such as now). I do hope that your consultant can help you, just to have some hope makes a huge difference,as can an excellent GP. Never give up until they realize the impact this illness has on not only you, but also your family. Good luck!! 

I live in the county of Warwickshire, I was originally from Coventry, but now live life Nuneaton, with my husband, three sons, and one daughter. 

Sincere wishes to you and all on this forum....... take care, and be kind to yourself.....xxx Deirdre.

• Posted

Omg you sound like myself sorelin. I was like that for nearly two years after I damaged my shoulder. I took lyrca at night for 18 mths also  cocodamol four times a day until I realised it wasnt helping.  I stopped lyrca four months ago and was still getting the aches and pains and stiffness mostly in morning.  Went back to doc more blood tests were done and was diagnosed post menopause in march. Taking clonidine 3 twice a day also apply progesterone cream and I notice a big difference. Still bit stiff in morning but do a few stretches in bed but now im  down to only 2 cocodamol during the day.  Ive been back in the garden,  out with the grandchildren and some diy. Have you been tested for menopause?. Forgot to mention I go for detox/ massage twice a month.  It has helped immensly  Miight not be just fibromialgia that you have! Take care.  Suz x
    • Posted

Hi sues, many thanks for your reply. I had a hysterectomy 20 yrs ago and I have been on hrt ever since. I had a test for menopause and  I have not started it yet according to the test results!!     I am 61  so that is surprising....   I too love gardening and I try to do something every day, I am afraid it is the housework that has tended to go to pot, however I have a wonderful husband who is very good . Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself .   Sincere thanks Deirdre x 
    • Posted

Hi Suz. I have been over the menopause for ten years now so it can't be connected.I am 61 but sometimes feel like ninety one! I will look into that detox/massage that you have as it seems to work for you. Thanks for your answer and info. Take care now. Lin x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.