Pain relief 12 days after complete knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Please tell me the pain gets less I am 12 days in from complete knee replacement and have no relief from the pain day or nigh tthe. I am taking a tablet twice a day plus Tramodol plus paracetomal all at max doses. I am so tearfull and depressed at no stage does this seem worth any reward. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After 17 days I felt exactly as you do now. I felt totally overwhelmed with pain. I am now 3 weeks post TKR and pain is more manageable. Still have trouble sleeping but it is very slowly improving. I know that there are good days and bad days and just when you think that you are over the worse you take a step backwards. I have been given lots of advice about not expecting too much too soon.
  • Posted

Hi there

Good news is it does get better. Its such early days for you-are you using ice and elevation as well as pain relief? Ice is your best friend these early days-morning and night along with lots of rest. I personally found a heat pack under the knee while icing on top a great help. Try to stay ahead of the pain by taking pain relief when its due. Playing catchup is never fun!! Hang in there-it WILL get better.

• Posted

Hi I am now 7 weeks post op after having both total knee replacements.  I still have pain, one day it's great and I think brilliant I'm over the worse now and then the next day I'm back to square one again.  Don't worry about being tearful and depressed we've all felt like that even now if I'm having a bad day.  Keep taking your pain relief on a regular basis and remember you've had a huge trauma to your knee.  Keep in contact with the group as everybody is at different stages and it helps to talk.  Hopefully you will see an improvement soon x

• Posted

It does get better, are you taking anti inflammatories?
    • Posted

Hi no I wasn't but I am now sneakinking a couple of doses oibrupofen where I can without getting confused with the rest of the mess. I feel like I'm rattling. A few days on and the worst part of the day is 3 in the morning until about 10.00 . Once I have had ice some pain relief and my frost cup of tea I'm ready to start a day of rest and exercises. Yippee!

• Posted

I used TENS a lot in the early days....in the gaps between medication. Make sure you write it all down so easy to forget.
  • Posted

hi YES the pain does get les and less remember to pamper yourself at all times im 14 weeks post TKR and just coming out of the dark side I am able to do most housework jobs without pain but still get pain on extreme jobs Phew I washed my caravan yesterday Now all YOU must do is always take your full pain relief even if you dont need them You will stop meds when youre much better in the future ice the leg  a few times a day and try and walk a little even if its just around the house clinging onto everything thats availble and doing your extensions exercises is a must even if it hurts lol 12 days is REALLY early in your jorney so dont push yourself at this moment you are still in post op at critical level As for sleep get the naps when you can cos you wont get a full nights sleep till much later Sorry if i amd Jobs comforter but if you know what to expect you wont feel so down heaertened And hell cry ing is the best thing when youre feeling down and the chocolates and a bottle of proseco LOL sending a hug cos we have all been there lots of love xxbiggrin
    • Posted

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!  Don't leave The Dark Side!!!  They always have the best cookies!!!!

• Posted

Love the expression "the dark side" Mary, you gave me a laugh there! 😁

• Posted

I can assure you that the pain does get better. I am at almost 7 months now & no pain really!

Maybe you would be better in different pain meds, we are all different & don't all get the same relief with the same drug! Perhaps go & have a chat with your GP to see if there is something else you could swap for! Or consider asking for referral to pain management clinic.

Hope it eases soon

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi i am 18week post op and only now feel better. It's a long road. Now i have to have my other done. At first I said no way but feeling better each day has changed my mind. Think positive and keep up with the exercise. Take care

• Posted

This is me Susan I said never again but going to have other knee done soon good job I kept a log of recovery for ref. It will help me on down days plus this forum is magic 😁😁😁

• Posted

Pain will get better as time passes. I went through the same thing.

Maybe you need something stronger for the pain.

Feel better. J21370

• Posted

Yes, the pain gets less...but, for most people, not for a while.  The first 30 days are usually hell on earth.  I was falling out of bed, delirious on the drugs or drooling in my lap.  By 60 days, most of the really bad pain is gone (good time to get off the opioids).  You will be fairly pain-free by 6 months.

The depression is completely normal.  The medical term is "Post Operative Depression" and once you know what it is (a Jedi Mind Trick), you'll kick it out of your life...no drugs needed.  Read the appropriate section...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

On really bad days, this may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-ptsd-569521

Stay strong.  It does get better...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.