pain relief

Posted , 7 users are following.

Narcotics

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What does eeveryone think about using them for pain they help me. Does your doctor write put scripts for you?
    • Posted

I presume you are talking about opiates like morphine? Yes they will give relief from pain but you will start to need larger doses as you build up a tolerance to them. And this is how addiction starts. That's why they should only be used as short term pain relief, or in end of life (terminal) care. x
    • Posted

There is no blanket answer for this one Josie.

A great deal depends upon the nature of the pain and it's cause.

There are circumstances when opioids are prescribed, but great care must be taken when prescribing them as they are addictive in their very nature, and accidental overdosing can have fatal consequences.

I think you really do need to broaden your comments Josie, and explain why you are being prescribed these drugs (that is if you are), and give details of exactly which medication you have been taking and for how long a period.

• Posted

In extreme cases, like Jeanne mentioned..usually for palative care...I would be extremely careful if you have been subscribed some..in fact I would definitely seek a second opinion..they are just sooo addictive very quickly too...hope you get the right knowledge them make an informed decision..be blessed..:-) xxx
  • Posted

well im on 60mg of morphine but i take them reqularly cos im in constant pain terrible sometime but i hate taking tablet but its the only things help you can take them whennrequiered but they work aswell 
  • Posted

Hello Josie,

I would seriously avoid narcotics, for many many reasons! From what I gather about this horrible condition, pain meds are not the answer. The only one my doc will prescribe for me is amitriptylene, more for sleep than pain. I have read that people are on truckloads of pain killers, with horrible side effects, and are still in pain! It seems that things like pacing, meditation, relaxation, mindfulness, warm water therapy, CBT are all the way forward.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Totally agree here with Anne, lots and lots of HOT water bottles everywhere are really good too...do hope you pain goes soon, really feeling for you Josie..:-) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.