pain relief

Posted , 7 users are following.

can i drink on Amitriptyline im on 25mg as a pain relief when i say dring i mean like a glass or two of wine,

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

You could drink if you miss taking the amitriptyline this evening.
  • Posted

thank you all think i best be safe and not drink
  • Posted

Check out some of the other discussions.  There are lots of personal opinions about this.  Some people on low doses say that they do in moderation but I would ask your doctors opinion about it.  Just to be on the safe side. I looked for the same question on here too, not got my prescription yet but mine is only 10mg dose, also for pain.
  • Posted

By the way, the prescription leaflet is aimed at people with depression apparently as this is the only thing that it is acually licenced for!  It was found to have a possitive effect on nerve pain and that is why doctors prescribe it for that purpose.
  • Posted

I have been on it for fibromyalgia for over16 years..I don't drink anyway.....I would be checking with a pharmacist or post you question on the site..there is a forum  for Amitrptilyne...hooe you find answers garrie..God bless :-) xxx
    • Posted

hi thanks christine , i did ask my gp if i could drink on them but he just siad well some ppl do and some don't you could try and see what happends , witch for a gp did shock me i just feel like if got no social life anymore ,x
    • Posted

Garrie. You definitely don't need to drink to have a social life...you can still have a great time...drink just changes your mood etc..not to mention how much money you will save...if you tell yourself your going to gave a great time when you are going out...you will......most of the time it's not a problem  for non drinkers..don't know why, but it's such a huge problem for those drinkers who we are out with..you have to ask yourself WHY???? Enjoy your life garrie..be blessed..:-) xx
    • Posted

Forgot to say this Garrie...I would be changing my doctor or making him accountable for what he says..have a lovely day..:-) xx
    • Posted

so true well iv gone 8 months over with no drink so may as well stand by it all it was it was my son birthday and i didn't want 2 be the only one standing there with no drink but as it went it was fine ,
  • Posted

The leaflet advises not to, I think it's sensible to be guided by this. Maybe you could miss your dose if it is a one off for a special occasion.
  • Posted

I am on 25mg as well, which I take just before bed.  I had a glass of wine on Friday and I was fine, although it was a couple of hours before I took the tablet. The leaflet says not to drink alcohol and I believe it's beause it make you more drowsy, but I didn't feel any different.  I wouldn't over do it though!
    • Posted

When I first started to take it I stupidly took my Amitriptyline an hour after having a few glasses of wine. I woke up during the night with a dreadful migraine 
    • Posted

I would only have one glass at the most with this med and only now and again. I suppose everyone is different to the way alcohol reacts with it. The same goes for the side affects of the med as not everyone gets the side affects.  Trial and error I guess.
    • Posted

Thanks for this, was not thinking about getting wasted, just one or two.
    • Posted

hi all i rang my G.P up on tuesday this week as i was the same as most ppl not knowing if you could have a drink' on these tablets not that i,am a big drinker , any way i have been told in a round about way that u should not drink on must meds , but if u were to drink on them (1) was not to drink to much or " (2) was to half the amount u take , or (3) was not to take your meds that night , i only need to know this as its my son 21st comeing up and we are all going away , for it and as most ppl we all like 2 have a drink , on special occasions ' so what im trying to say is i think who ever it is check with a G.P be 4 any one has a drink just 2 be on the safe siad ,,as i my self have not had a drink for 8 months now but i would like to have a drink for my son 21st,,
    • Posted

There you go can't see one Or two giving anybody trouble

Enjoy it

• Posted

Yes enjoy your son's 21st!  Perhaps skip your meds for that night, I'm sure that 1 night without them won't make much difference, especially if you are not on a huge dose.  And remember...alcohol is a painkiller!!  LOL  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.