Pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

my husband has severe copd and asthma and has srecently developed arthritis in his shoulder.    Despite telling the doctor that he suffers from asthma and copd she prescribed co cocodomul.    The information leaflet tells anyone with either of these not to take this medication.  Can anyone suggest an over the counter pain relief that is safe for him to take.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take Codine, or Ibrufen, 0r Paracetomal
  • Posted

Hi, I would check with pharmacy, I'm sure they'll be able to prescribe something. Also I would put in a complaint to Doctor surgery, obviously not doing their job properly.

• Posted

Yes I agree with Susan check with your pharmacist, take a copy of your husbands regular prescription drugs so the pharmacist can advise what is safe / without interactions.

For respiratory paracetamol is the safest pain relief.

• Posted

Hi, Thank goodness you read the leaflet.  I took co-codamol twelve months ago without reading the leaflet as stupidly I trusted the doctor and I was very ill.  I lost nearly two stone in weight and I'm still trying to put it back on.  I am 70 years young and have COPD and this should not be given for these two reasons alone.  Fortunately I haven't needed strong pain killers since but Do check with your pharmacist, they are very knowledgible and helpful.

• Posted

Thanks to all who replied.  I think paracetamol is the answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.