Pain relief

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have Osteoarthritis in my knee and have had a flare up for the last few days and I am off on holiday abroad tomorrow. I am so scared to take ibuprofen even with the stomach protectors because of the heart attack and stroke risk. I really don't know how I am going to manage on holiday I am in so much pain.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you known to be at risk of a potential stroke/heart attack? E.g. Do you have other factors to consider such as high blood pressure? If not I would take the ibuprofen with tummy protection for as short a period as possible. Probably once you are on holiday your flare will disappear as sometimes it can be stress (or weather) related - at least that has been my experience. Enjoy your holiday and relax.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. My Dad had a heart attack and stroke so it just bothers me.
    • Posted

There are other pain killers that are easier on the stomach.  Speak to your chemist.

Like Linda I wear elasticated knee supports when I leave the house (even in bed when necessary).  Also there are strong support stockings to prevent thrombosis if you are flying or travelling long distance by coach or car.

Relax - enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

My partner has high blood pressure and raised blood sugar but his doctor is adamant he should take anti inflammatories (he takes naproxen which is similar to ibuprofen) because he has inflammatory problems with his knees.  I would definitely start taking them right now in preparation for the journey.  With anti inflamms it's important to give them time to start working to bring down the inflammation and therefore the pain.  As others have said if you have not been told you shouldn't take them by your doctor then definitely do so.  I have severe OA and have recently been on holiday and the pain was way less while away due to the warmer weather and no stress.

• Posted

If it was me, and I had NOT been told NOT to take Ibuprofen then I wouldn't see problem  My neighbour in his early eighties takes prescription high strength Ibuprofen all the time.  I too get Ibuprofen on prescription so there can't be that much risk unless, as I said, you have been told not to take it.  You could also take paracetamol or co-codamol in addition to the Ibuprofen.  Why don't you ring your surgery to find out the best combination of pain relief?   I also wear elasticated knee supports when I have flare ups - they do help and use a walking stick, or as I do, two walking poles.

• Posted

Hi Carol

I agree with the others.   I would take the ibup. for a short period of time so it starts to work before holiday.   I also wear a knee support when my knee hurts or is swollen.  Stockings are good too    I have been told not to take ibuprofen also b/c of my age so increased risk of stroke. But sometimes I do take Aleve (don't know the name of the drug in other countries.)   It lasts longer and supposed to be more gentle on the stomach.   My Dad had massive stroke and Mom several heart attacks so I hear what you are saying.   I think once you are off on your trip  you will be doing better and i hope you really enjoy the time away!  Best wishes to you

• Posted

How are you going on holiday, in a car? Do you know the very high risks of a car accident? It's a million times more than the chances of a heart attack or stroke, from taking paracetamol. If you are taking a PPI I think you can't take ibuprofen, which is why I take paracetamol or volatile gel. 

Stop suffering becuase of something thta is that is highly unlikely to happen. 

Oh and don't forget to not get in a car, they kill and injure people every day!!!!! 

• Posted

Hello Carol,

You are wise to be apprehensive to take Ibuprofen. I have OA and will NEVER take nsaids, especially ibuprofen.  I know a lot of folks who now have to combat ulcers along with the pain of their arthritis after taking these harmful meds. Strokes are also problematic, but many drs keep prescribing them because they weigh risk vs benefit (if at all). I think a heart attack or stroke is just not something to risk.

If anything I would try acetaminophen (but be careful with high doses that cause liver damage). You could see if lower doses works or for more of a natural route you might try tumeric. I know some people who swear by it, but it hasn't ever helped me. For my arthritic shoulder that needs a replacement joint, I'm on a fairly strong but low dose of a regulated, schedule 3 acetaminophen based med which I also have to be careful for side effects. I'm pretty sure it's not available in UK, but even this med barely alleviates my pain. Without it, though, I would be completely immobile with no quality of life because degenerative shoulder arthritis affects the whole body, especially all of the back, neck, and other shoulder muscles that compensate for the diseased joint.

One more idea you could try in addition to pain meds is a whole starch plant based diet. After trying this for almost 2 years now, the famous quote by Hippocrates may resonate when he said to let food be medicine. For the WSPB, I don't eat any animal proteins, oils(fats), or processed foods. It's well documented for more than 40 years that animal proteins are absolute inflammatory agents that exacerbate arthritis as well as many other serious conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer. I noticed that when I cheat and eat any processed foods, there is a spike in higher pain levels.

If you're going on holiday adjusting what you eat will be difficult because of eating out, but there are so many foods on the "can eat" list for a plant based that you could try. There is nothing to lose. For more info on a plant based diet, you could look up Dr.s Michael Greger, Colin Campbell, and Dean Ornish to name a few, and they have the science and great ideas for what to eat. I'm so sorry you are in pain, and I hope you will be able to find some relief for your time off. 

Safe travels,

Holly

• Posted

Personally I try very much to avoid Nsaids . I took only 3 over the course of about 15 hours and next thing I knew I was having emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer. I have never touched them since. They are very hard on the gut.
  • Posted

What do you think below bars for reduce back pain.

https://www.toppullupbar.com/pure-fitness-multi-purpose-workout-bar-review/

• Posted

Extreme caution should be taken before doing any strenuous exercise movements as it will depend on what the cause of the pain is whether this could cause further injury.  Best advice is to follow any recommendations from doctor or physiotherapist as you may cause more harm than good for example if a muscle is pulled.
  • Posted

Hi Carol

When l was about 21 l used to swallow nurofen (ibuprofen) all the time

Like it was sweets. Like l would wake up with a bit of a sore head, 2 nurofen taken

Tummy cramps every month l would go through a box as it took pain away. Infact any feeling of pain l would take nurofen. Then one night l had a pain high in my tummy. It would not ho away it was so sore l was crying in pain then all of a sudden l was violently sick and it was just coffee coloured blood. I still stayed with my folks and they rang a GP who gave me an injection of morphine and said if it comes back call an ambulance. Of course it did and l ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with 2 peptic ulcers. The doctor said i was lucky. I was sent home and told not to take anything with asprin in it. And l now take Omepazole every day. I just had my knee replaced 2 weeks ago and had the other last year. I am never given Nsaids. I would stick to co-codamol or ask doctor for something a bit stronger.........maybe tramadol or stick to paracetamol and an elastic knee support.

Beleive me the pain from your OA is enough without getting ulcers.

Enjoy your holiday.

Lors

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.