pain relief after total hip r replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi im 6 days post op after left hip replacement ive been sent home with paracetomol and an opiod painkiller

just wondering when did people reduce then stop pain killers

thanks Dianne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianne, i had my left hip resurfaced in October 2008 and whether it was the epidural or codeine I'd been taking i don't know but i had double vision.

I didn't take any pain killers after i got home from hospital and the double vision went after a week. I had a numb feeling in the little finger of my right hand and the one third one too, for months but it eventually went.

• Posted

Hi Dianne, by week 2-3 I was just taking Paracetamol, I realised how much better I felt in myself as soon as I stopped stronger meds, I am now week 4-5 & taking Paracetamol occasionally when i feel I need it but not regularly, your body will tell you what you need, wishing you a speedy recovery

• Posted

everyone has different needs and pain thresholds. I was off all opiods before I left hospital and used paracetamol for another week apart from the odd one or two, often at night if I had done a lot during the day.

• Posted

i am 18 months post op and understand no two people or surgeries are the same. I believe I switched to TYLENOL sometime within the 1st week, reserving any opioid if needed at night, etc but don't remember using it. I learned after this being my first surgery except for a hysterectomy that the whole process just took time and patience was difficult! Today, I don't even know I have this foreign body in my hip & so thankful for modern technology! Rest, ICE & do the exercises the dr ordered. Don't overdo or you'll pay for it. Prayers you have a good recovery!

• Posted

hi Diane...like you l am 6 days in with a left hip replacement....l am just taking paracetamol, as l felt so grotty on all the other opioids from hospital...l have been taking the odd ibuprofen inbetween, if it gets too much....the main thing l am suffering with is anxiety / depression ? l had a hip pinning go wrong prior to this and it has been 5 months of pain and worry....have you , or anyone else felt like this ??? l wish you a great recovery....

• Posted

Hi Dianne,

No one can tell you when to reduce the painkillers, it is entirely up to you. I had no pain after op and did not need painkillers but the hospital are obsessed with taking them. The nurses kept asking my pain level I said zero, they still gave me oxycontin which made me feel sick and constipated. As I said only you know when to reduce/stop.

• Posted

i took codeine and paracetamol regularly until I was no longer feeling any discomfort. There's no right answer, but don't leave yourself in pain, particularly at night as sleep and rest are so important for recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.