Pain relief and de-stressing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across any good pain relief methods you can use at work etc. I find Deep Heat cream really good, but the smell isn't great for the office!

The patches are also useful, but quite costly to be using all the time (my costo can last days at a time and I've had it for a couple of years). Heat-up beanbag things work well too, but again, not practical for the office.

I'm also interested to hear about de-stressing techniques people use. Used to consider myself fairly easy-going, but i think heart attack paranoia put an end to that! Not sure if a couple of beers at the weekend helps or not, and concerned that exercise brings it on sometimes.

Lastly, just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories - very reassuring! Mine seems to be fairly typical: work stress, followed by countless tests, anxiety and an unwelcome new friend in life.

Thanks everyone!

James

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I haven't found anything at all to relieve the pain, I just have to lie in bed and find a comfortable position and I find a hot water bottle helps a little 😞

• Posted

Really sorry to hear that Karen.

Keep trying different avenues - maybe something will work one day! Or maybe it'll eventually bugger off a little.

I'm currently on the sofa with my trusty heated beanbag...

• Posted

Hi James. Sorry we are all part of the same "club"! One of the brands of deep heat treatments I have found that absorbs well with little smell is BioFreeze. I get it in the rollerball application as it's easier to apply and absorbs much quicker.

A de-stressing technique I have found useful is Mindfulness and self guided meditation. There's a wonderful free app - Aura I downloaded. I had never tried meditation before so wasn't sure how this was going to work out. The mindfulness portion of it allows you to choose the emotion you are feeling at the time then a very soothing voice guides you through a healthy way to go through that emotion as you sit with your eyes closed. It's a 2-3 minute little clippet. Even if your mood is happy the goal is to make you stop and be mindful of where you are at the moment. It's rather soothing. The meditation you do on your own. You choose what you want your background sound to be - there's several choices - soothing stream, ocean waves, forest sounds, etc. and you choose the amount of time in 5 minute increments. I started out at 5 and have worked my way up to 15. You can set an alarm as a reminder to use the app and you get a nice little chime reminder daily. You can do the self guided meditation as many times a day as you like but the mindfulness portion only once a day and the moods are limited on the free version. Of course, as with any app, you can pay to upgrade. Free works just fine for me! Lol You could do this on your lunch break while in your car and could wear ear buds so no one else can hear what your doing. Exercise is not an option for me due to other disability so I can't speak on that aspect.

Lastly, only surround yourself with people who bring positivity and joy to your life. You call this person a "friend". We get to choose our friends. Choose wisely - not everyone is worth our time and energy. I am a firm believer in the concept of "it's better to have 1 true dependable wonderful friend than 10 so-so soul draining so called friends". Only you can fix this issue. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

Hmmm not tried anything cold before. I'll give it a go! Thanks.

I'll also try the mindfulness. A bit of quiet certainly won't do any harm...

Agreed - life's too short to have people around who do you no good.

Thanks so much for the tips, and good luck with your battle against costo!

• Posted

I have had Tietze Syndrome for almost 2 yrs.  All the heart tests came up normal.  My Dr. has me on 3000mg of Tumeric pills a day..  Also try putting Kerrygold Unsalted Butter (Grass fed) along with a tps to a Tbs of high grade coconut oil in your morning coffee (or hot tea).  Mix with an immersion blender; add sugar and cream as needed.
    • Posted

Good tip! Makes sense that coconut oil would help.

I don't like seafood, but forcing myself to eat it every now and again for the oil!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.