Pain relief for slipped disc

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, ive recently had an MRI which shows a large bulging disc in lower back pressing on nerve root. Ive been in intense pain for weeks and im not responding to physio so its looking like surgery is my only option. My doctor has give me gabapentin which is a nerve blocker but its not working yet, im also taking tramadol and voltarol suppositories but the pain is still there. Has anyone here been given stronger pain relief? can you be given morphine by gp ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes they can give you morphine , i am on morphine tablets low dosage and i have morphine liquid for when i need for break through pain. I was on tramodol and pregablin . The tramodol worked , but i thought the pregablin was a waste of time . I have had two surgeries now and still need the morphine at moment and have replaced the tramodol with Naproxen . I Was only down for one operation but i moved very quick five weeks after my op and the disc moved and i had to have more of the bone removed as it was pressing on the nerve root . I Hope you get sorted there is nothing worse pain wise its terrible . I am just really finding the back pain bad, but has relived my leg pain

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. It really is the worst, most horrific pain I've ever experienced. Im currently bed bound as walking is so,so painful. Myself, my daughter and my husband have called the doctors yesterday begging for help but nobody has called back. I feel so helpless and vunerable right now.

• Posted

when will you know if they are offering you surgery ? Second time i went to A&E could not take it anymore , but its a good job i did as they got me straight in for second op. You need either do that or keep calling the doctors and get stronger meds . or get an emergency appoinment at a pain clinc which i did and they give me an epidrual . I am still in pain but nothing like before the op . A&E Really might be your only option . You also have to be careful about losing Bladder control as it can press on the nerve if they think that they will get you straight in . Just a thought really hope you get sorted ASAP.

• Posted

hi, doctor has done a home visit today and prescribed morphine which has taken the edge off slightly, shes also upped the dose of gabapentin. She also got rapid response team to come round with a commode and a walking frame. I'm 41 for crying out loud! Just hoping this is all short term. I'll know more about operation after appointment this thursday. Thank you for your responses, sometimes its good to know I'm not alone and its such a common problem

• Posted

Hi

How are you getting on ? any easier with the morphine ? did they give you liquid or tablets ? Hope you get soon answers at appointment . I did have to wait abit for the op. I am only 39 so i know what you mean x

• Posted

pain still ridiculous when i move or get up for the loo but morphine helping a bit, i was due to see a consultant today following on from MRI but my husband called to say theres no way he will get me up and out the house so the consultant rang me to say he will fast track my app with surgeon. Surgery is looking like my only hope so i really hope i dont have to wait long

• Posted

Hi Susie

Just i would drop you an email to see how you are getting on ? have you decided to have surgery ?

Rachael300

• Posted

hi, thank you so much for your message, yes, the surgeon highly recommends it so just waiting for a date which should be in the next couple of months, pain has gone at the moment which is a relief, gabapentin must be working, just have a numb lower leg and foot and i have to walk with a stick, im much better than i was though thank goodness x

• Posted

thats good as you seemed like you was struggling . Yeah i had that with foot and leg . The ops got rid or the leg pain . I an still struggling with back pain . The ops help the leg pain so its still a result . I Still have leg numbness and bit of tingling in foot but that will take time . I went for an epidrual today in back usually starts working in a couple of days . I Hope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.