Pain relief for slipped disc

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, ive recently had an MRI which shows a large bulging disc in lower back pressing on nerve root. Ive been in intense pain for weeks and im not responding to physio so its looking like surgery is my only option. My doctor has give me gabapentin which is a nerve blocker but its not working yet, im also taking tramadol and voltarol suppositories but the pain is still there. Has anyone here been given stronger pain relief? can you be given morphine by gp ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Susie,

I had a herniated disc just over a year ago and only an operation was going to solve it. As I waited for the operation I was given Gabapentin, Tramadol as well as Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. None of it really worked and eventually I had to resort to morphine which I took at bedtime in an attempt to help me sleep. I was told that morphine does not really work for nerve pain, and I found this to be the case, however it did knock me out for about an hour which was useful in giving me an hours' sleep.

The Gabapentin needs to be introduced gradually so perhaps check if you can now increase the dose. You can increase to quite a high dose (with GP's agreement of course) until you find the level you need for some relief, and my own GP told me that Gabapentin was my best hope out of all the medications.

It is an awful experience to go through this pain. I am now on the other side of it, a year past the operation, but it was the only answer.

Hope this helps, and all the best.

• Posted

thank you for your reply, im currently on 400mg gabapention 3 times a day but i believe it takes several weeks to work. I had an emergancy app yesterday with gp at local hospital due to the level of pain im in and he said my body may have got used to the tramadol and co codamol so he gave me a muscle relaxer called Baclofen and that hasnt worked either! Im off work again as i simply cannot walk, in so much pain its ridiculous. You'd put a dog down in this situation. Im waiting for a date for surgery as that is my only hope. Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel x

• Posted

i cant recall how much gabapentin i was taking but it wasj ust below the maximum allowed. none of the meds actually worked i am sorry to say. it is the most awful pain . the nhs didnt seem to want to know unless bowel or bladder became affected and i had to go private. awakening from the op that pain had gone. let me know how you get on. all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.