Pain relief options?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok, since I first posted by pain has increased. GP said nothing she can give me. Paracetamol doesnt work. Cocodamol over the counter takes the edge off but makes me really constipated and spaced out. Been told i can't take antiinflammatories due to sensitive stomach. Ibuprofen gel would work if i could just bath in it. Tens machine hasn't help.

So, what medication might work that means i am still on this planet? Then i know what i can suggest.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I know that many viewers will disagree with this but I can only explain my own experiences. I surrered for 3 years before surgery and the only thing that worked for me was Alprazolam 0.5mg 2 x a day. Yes I know it is addictive, that it is not created for this condition and that doctors would not dream of prescribing it, but when I finally took the plunge on surgery my spine doctor who is one of the most experienced in the world just smiled and said "Yes, I know it works". he went on to explain how it works, which is a total different approach to pain relief. I was able to get off it rather easily over a 2 week period. Like I say, my response is not advice, it is just a personal experience.

• Posted

Hi there my personal experience is I'm on a cocktail of painkillers I'm on paracetamol, tramadol, naproxen and I'm on omeprazole which helps line the stomach so that the naproxen doesn't cause any bleeding inside.

I also take tranexamic acid but that's because I suffer from fibromyalgia which causes painful menstrual cramps.

If you need to talk about anything I'm always available.

• Posted

I also cant have anti inflamotorys but i do have tramadol and parasetamol.they take the top off the pain.personally i prefur to have a bit of pain as it reminds me of my limits .if not i would just go on and on and end up really suffering
  • Posted

Forgot i take co dydromol as well but not with parasetamol or tramadol justvan alternative medication
  • Posted

Well after a bad night of pain i ended up at the docs. I just was not able to wait another 2 days for the hospital. I have been given a stomach protector and am just taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to see how it goes. So far it has helped with the pain. Not removed, but bearable which i can cope with. Also been told to have lots of baths and see if i can find a jacuzzi to sit in.

My pain threshold has been good so far. Its just got too much now.

• Posted

The Dr's started me on just ibuprofen and paracetamol but over time they stopped working so I've had to go onto other painkillers.
  • Posted

I really hope that keeps you going for a while at least. Thats the trouble with progressive conditions isnt it, you just start to get to a level you can cope with then your body gets used to that level and then befor you know it the pain gets unbearable again
  • Posted

Hi i am also a CS patient. Dont feel low because, this is not cancer. but yes painful. If you know how to get rid of the pain then LG (life's good). Here are couple of steps that i followed, actually somehow i invented these steps and they do work.

I am also a CS patient. I have found following things relieving

a. In case of acute pain in the cervical region, I take a hot water bath. stand beneath the hot water shower with back facing the shower. the water should be slightly hotter than normal comfort level. This is the best for sudden relief.

b. Lie down on the bed facing towards ceiling with your head, neck and further 6 inches of back hanging down from the bed. close your eyes and take deep breath, hold for 5 seconds and relieve. do this for atleast 3-4 times.

c. lie on the bed and turn your head and try to look in the diagonal direction, which means consider your self sleeping north (head) to south (feet) , normally we exercise by turning the head east to west. Rather try to see an object kept at north-east and north-west.

d. Pranayam - You can search for anulom-vilom on you tube. If you are able to do this for two weeks in the morning for 15 minutes daily, the change is dramatic. there are other yoga excercises but this is best to begin with.

e. Sit on a chair with back straight and head straight. Simultaneously turn your head vertically up and take deep breath. When your head is facing the ceiling, hold the breath for 5 seconds and then turn your head down back to the original position with exhaling air. remember not to turn your head down. (We are people with Cervical spondolysis, we never bow down  [biggrin]    [wink]

f. Massage the are right below the ears, i.e the side part of the neck with a pain relief ointment. also behind the ears.

g. Massage the shoulders with a menthol based pain relief ointment.

These are my experiences, i hope they are useful for all who suffer from this painful condition.

• Posted

To all that have read my threads, thank you. Sorry that I have been absent from my installments. I sustained a freak gym accident. I over worked myself because of stress and caused pretty bad trauma on my lower spine. I was squatting 185 lbs and lost my balance on the re-rack machine and had the weight tumbling down. Central disc protrusion/herniation on L5-S1 and an annular tear (the tough outter ring part of the disc itself) and will require surgery. So sorry again and much love to everyone!
  • Posted

Just a word about anyone wanting to use strong Opiates,especially Oxycodone or the slow release Oxycontin tablets. If ever you are precribed these or decide to 'try' them as a last resort,please be warned that withdrawals from Oxycodone are horrendous. On the plus side oxycontin tabs are the best pain removers around and I still use them on those days were its all getting to much for me. However,All it takes is a couple of months (even at a low dose) of regular use,and that can lead to real problems you don't see coming before it's too late. Please don't get me wrong here,Opiates can and do give many people fantastic relief from chronic pain myself included. Just make sure you explore every other avenue of pain relief first before you open the Opiate door.

rant over,stay strong everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.