Pain relief post full replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please tell me  what worked for you? Can I ask for Morphine patches. Really scared about the pain...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose,

I had oromorph which did the trick. It is morphine in syrup form.

It made me a bit sickly so they gave me a jab to stop that as well.

Later on I had a second dose of oromorph to help me sleep.

Then I had a lot of fluid from the drip they put in in theatre and spent the night on the bedpan getting rid of it.

I peed like a horse! lol

Hope you are not too bad.

Hugs

• Posted

It was in two stages for me.

in hospital post op, There was plenty on offer, started with oromorph, but by the time I went home on Day 5 I was on Co coma doll, codeine, paracetamol mixture. 

This worked fine and by day 10 I did not need any pain killers.

having said that we are all different, some need more, some less and what suits one person causes side effects in another.

the important thing is to be proactive in communicating with doctors/nurses. They cannot guess how you are feeling. I was frequently asked on a scale of 1-10 what is your pain leve. Be honest at this point, do not opt for bravery, then you should get what you need. If it does not work or agree with you say so so that it can be altered

all the best

• Posted

Roll on day 10!!!!

None of my pain killers work now with the pain, so was hoping the ones they give you at hospital are better/effective. Thank you so much for your reply it is really encouraging to think by day 10 I might be a little closer to life without pain.

• Posted

Hi Rose,

By day 10, You should feel like your self again. Try to stay away from painkillers. They are very addictive and withdrawal is hell. I wish you luck with your recovery. Keep your head high and SMILE sweetie!

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Our conditions are not the same. I have neck and back pain while I believe your having a hip replacement. Many of my family and friends have had hip replacement and all have said the pain wasn't that bad. You will probably receive Percocet. Usually 5 mg. I know surgery can be scary. I'm scared about my neck fusion. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!

• Posted

I didn't ask for morphine drip but I've had it for knees. Next hip I will ask for that. And you can always ask.

I found I was prescribed a lot more pain killers than I was being given. I wish the doctors would have been up front about pain management. I think it would be a good idea to discuss it with your surgeon

• Posted

I had intro with morphine and paracetomol with a button to press when it lit up so Icould control it, this worked for me but I know some people have problems with morphine.
  • Posted

I am 2 weeks out. I was given tramadol but had an allergic reaction. So I took oxy and hydro codone. Now I just take Tylenol during the day and something at night, cause I'm hurting after a day of activity. Ice ice ice- I love ice. Really helps numb the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.