Pain relief suggestions

Posted , 5 users are following.

are there certain food and drinks that I should avoid? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sime

Eating anything at all without pain would be a great step forward!

Some people on these forum chains have to try using straws or eating well chopped food unfortunately. Often, the very act of opening the mouth to receive any type of food is a problem. Some report exacerbations if they try spicy or even sugary/sweet food. I don't think there is any type of food that will cause "less" pain. This is particularly true for those of us who have the electric stabs in the maxillary branch of the Trigeminal nerve (upper lip and the nose area usually). As for kissing in any romantic way at all - forget it!! - or whistling! - and shaving or trimming moustache is agony.

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Thanks - using a straw is a good idea. 
  • Posted

Sometimes just touching yogurt with tip of my tongue will bring on the pain. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to what causes an attack. It just does what it does when and where it wants. Thank heaven for Tegretol. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks - sounds like this is going to be quite a journey!
    • Posted

Does anyone know if a really big slug or very many slugs of whisky or similar (well over drive limit and at level that most people would be very drunk) does in fact reduce the pain if only for a while? The down-side of this is having a terrible hangover and headache as well as the TN in the morning I suppose!

D

• Posted

I had suffered terribly for a year then my chiropractors tried Acupuncture (not the Chinese style the muscle type) after three sessions and two weeks it was cured!! Only had a few very slight pains in 8 months. Can't express the relief it was a total nightmare no one can understand unless you have it.

• Posted

Thanks. I hadn't thought about needles. Interesting. Will seriously consider this option

• Posted

Everything is a trigger for me when the pain is bad. When it is I can't even open my mouth.

• Posted

So sorry Lawrence. I had spells of that in the beginning but thankfully the Tegretol has it pretty much under control. 

Good luck and take care.

• Posted

That's great. I just switched to Gabapentin. I hope it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.