Pain relief suggestions and general advice? Help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am only 22 years of age and have had these for around 6 months now; they are excrutiating and very uncomfortable. I have previously had chronic depression and as a result my stomach is now in turmoil and I get very constipated, which just repeats the cycle. I have been drinking cosmocol sachets for three months but to no avail, and have recently been prescribed rectogesic gel- though the migraines they give me are awful. 

Today a BM has re-opened the tears and bled heavily, after 2 weeks of no bleeding. My doctor has told me the next option is surgery to stretch the anus, has anyone had this???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Iam sorry for you. But you will be fine. Is the surgery called LIS or somethingals.i had mine nearly 3 weeks ago feels g8 do it. because if anal fissure start giving the spasm then it hurts a lot a lot trust me. Do the surgery change your diet and good luck
  • Posted

Oh sorry to hear this sad I had very successful results from having botox injected to the fissure, can you ask for that? Also perhaps ask for some instilagel which is a numbing gel in a plastic syringe, I used that 5 mins before a bm and it helped a lot. Just don't get any on the floor... It's very slippery! Hope this has x

• Posted

Did you find that the insilagel brought on headaches too? I will ask about the botox injections- were they painful at all?

Thankyou for your response/help!!

• Posted

Hello,

Yes, I have had this too. Anal fissures are a lot more common than you think. They have varying degrees of pain, but can get very excruitating (sometimes to the point where you cannot even explain the pain). 

If you have a chronic fissure, I would recommend the surgery. If you do not, and want to try some of this stuff first, I would recommend theses things listed below:

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Thankyou for such a detailed response! I think I'll go and get some of the zinc oxide you suggested. Fibre supplements I think would really help, but I am very dehrydated(no matter how often and much I drink). I have upped my water intake to about triple the amount I would have otherwise drank. Tension headaches and stress may be to blame for this!

I'm really trying to avoid surgery as the thought of it utterly terrifies me!

Do you find that you're dehydrated a lot of the time? And do you think that it will be a change in diet for life- in that they may return so to continue to take fibre supplements for life?? 

Thanks a lot

• Posted

No problem!!!

I have taken the fiber supplement metamucil daily since my surgery. I do this for me to have peace of mind. I probably could do without it but I'd rather not take any chances. 

As far as feeling dehrydrated, I do not. However, I tend to drink a lot of waater most of the time. When you are taking the fiber, make sure to drink a lot of water with it. The fiber is not effective unless it can absorb water. 

The zinc oxide definitely helps!

Hope you feel better!

Best,

Myles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.