pain seems worse now after epidural

Posted , 26 users are following.

Diagnosed with 2 slipped discs and artheritis, april 2007, 2 weeks ago went in hosital and had epidural injection, the relef was instant, but alas now 2 weeks lata the pain seems to be worse, also skipped a period, which i have read is side effects from the injection, definatly not pregnant, thank god.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has had the epidural injections, and did they work for you?

Been suffering with the pain since october 2006, and not sure what the next step is, im a bit scared about having the operation, any ideas on what other options i have?

Feeling down in the dumps now, after having nearly 2 weeks of no pain, and now its back with a vengance, any information will be greatly recieved.

1 like, 249 replies

249 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

In Aug 06, I started suffering from severe leg pain down my left leg. Following an MRI scan, I was diagnosed with a prolasped disc at l4/l5 compressing the l5 nerve. Anyway I sent to physio but I didnt respond well to it and so my consultant referred me for an epidural steriod injection in feb 07 - this seemed to be a success until I re-injured my back the following month doing the hoovering. Suffered worse agonising pain and was advised to go for another steriod injection which didnt work. I then tried physio, traction, deep tisue massage, faith healers, osterpaths, acupuncture and so failing all that i went for surgery - a decompression in july 07. I stayed in overnight and them went home the following day. I was pain free apart from op area and so I was overjoyed!! 3 weeks later the pain started again but I was told that it was just my nerves healing and everything knitting together. However, after 6 weeks the pain subsided and I began to enjoy life again being normal until I sneezed on boxing day and the back pain came back. I then sneezed a 2nd time a few weeks later and since then all the leg pain has came back. I then went to see my consultant whom done all the tests and said he was confident that it wasnt another prolasped disc but still referred me for an MRI. I have just had the results and it is showing a large L4/L5 disc protrusion that is compressing my L5 nerve root, which is basiclaly worse than it was before. The strange thing is that the pain is not as bad and I can drive, walk and sit for longer periods than I could pre-op. I can also put my socks and shoes on and do a high leg extension, which was impossible before. Consultant then said he wants me to try physio for 6 weeks and if that doesnt work, I may be looking at another operation. Has anyone else had this - can a large disc protrusion go back in or shrink......help...................Im so down that this is all happening to me again and I so desperate to start a family but all this is preventing me from getting on with my life - Im 34 at my next birthday !!!

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

Are you saying that last year you had surgery for decompression but no part of the disc removed?? I've never heard of that before. Usually the compression is caused by the protusion, so some part of the disc needs to be removed during the operation. Protusions certainly can go back in that is why a lot of people with a slipped disc don't need surgery, they can get by on mild analgesics and rest/physio, until nature takes care of the repair.

As for the change in your symptoms this time round, it may be that the compression is slightly different this time. Personally I have found my leg symptoms have gone through a whole spectrum of pain/numbness in every possible combination. You have nothing to lose (except time) by following the Consultant's suggestion and trying physio again. Have you thought about keeping a pain diary going during this period? That way, if things do change they (the Consultant and Physiotherapist) can hopefully see when and why. My own personal opinion is that for these Consultants it is like trying to do a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing and no picture on the box!! On the downside if you do eventually need surgery, and you are having it done on the NHS, then this will all have been a waste of time and you'll get no credit for time already spent in the system, as the \"Decision To Treat Date\" for your operation will only run from the date the Consultant decides an operation is necessary. unfortunately, this is how people get lost in the system, and there are plenty of people here with experience of that!!!

Good luck

TFU

• Posted

Hi Brittany,

I am so sorry that you are suffering like this. But believe me it's pretty crap whatever age you are!! You are very young to have this problem and maybe that is why the medics are proceeding cautiously.

I do think though that you should get your mum or dad to chase things up for you. I am guessing that you are on their health insurance policy as a minor? In the UK we have a state run system called the NHS which is supposed to look after us all from the monies that we pay from our taxes. However, depending on where you live the standard of care can vary enormously as can the waiting times to be seen. Basically the system sux, but not many people can afford to go private. Some are covered by private health insurance, usually through their employers.

Maybe a phone call is all that is needed to get you back in the system again. Certainly it seems odd that you have just left to it.

Good luck

TFU

• Posted

Thats DLA visit over & done with. Obviously no results, but you could see from the examining Dr's reactions to my movements etc, that she could see I was suffering. I never realised my left arm had become so weak!!! I was squeezing as hard as I could during one of the tests but there was nothing there compared to my right hand!

The change in the weather hasn't helped either in that it actually aggravated things.

• Posted

Hi Darren,

So now you wait and wonder!!!! Hopefully it won't be another six months before you hear the results.

TFU

• Posted

Sorry to hear your postings re DLA Darren. You've given me something to think about as I am awaiting forms to fill out for DLA. CAB did say to get it filled out with a professional and to make sure when asked that I had permenant bad days.

I understand where you are coming from with people who have nowt wrong get everything - I know a fair few around here. Hope all goes well for you.

Jessica

• Posted

Jess, I filled mine in online via the DWP/DLA website. Took about an hour in total.

I believe most of the delay in mine, was down to me changing surgeries a week or so after submitting the online form.

The trouble with getting a professional to fill the form in for you is that if they make an error and put something down incorrectly, it could go against you.

• Posted

Has anyone ever heard of a medical councellor?

I have been calling all sorts of numbers my GP surgery gave me, and no-one seems to know. I read an article on the internet that mentioned you could see one if you needed to talk if you are low re what you've been through medically.

I suffer from reactive depression and I think I'm heading south. So depressed I'm having awfull thoughts again and I'm getting scared.

Jess

• Posted

Oh...thanks. What I was going to do is fill it in with help from CAB. Should I just fill it in myself then? (new to benefits - have always worked for my money).

Jess

• Posted

Hi Jess

I haven't heard of a medical counsellor, but if you can find one and give it a go, I would be really interested in hearing about what you think.

I suffer from Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. My NHS experiences have totally traumatised me and with that comes all sorts of issues. I'm guessing that you'll undestand that more than most.

Good luck with the hunt!!!!

TFU

• Posted

Thank you guys for writting back ! It was really nice to hear about other peoples saying in this. When I finished writting my experience I just relized this site was UK. So I do understand that its very different than where im from. Im from Canada and I beleive that our medical isnt that amazing. Dont hear about private help, and probably would nice to have here.

A CT Scan is a type of CAT Scan, and I did a Spinal-CT Scan, just scanning my back-of course. A much better scan than x-ray, It shows organs and bone tissue and such.

And so, thanks again and I always say to myself, It could be worse- so Im very thankful and will keep on smiling.

:wink:

-Brittany

• Posted

Hi all,

I had my MRI scan on Monday, was supposed to go back to see Consultant next week, but because of Easter/leave or whatever no clinics now until 10 April. I have an appointment booked for then, but have asked for her to ring me if there is anything [i:1769877765][b:1769877765]very[/b:1769877765][/i:1769877765] wrong.

I am quite concerned now about what happened when I came off the meds last week. I'm sure it can't be normal to be in that much pain ten weeks post surgery.

To add to my joy, a few days ago I got copies of two letters the Consultant sent my GP. One was a rather belated discharge summary from the third admission, only two months late!! That made pretty bleak reading. The other was the notes of the Clinic visit at the end of February. She wants me to see a Urologist for a full assessment as I have had bladder problems since the first surgery and she also wants to refer me to a Neurologist because of my residual leg/foot problems, all of which may well be permanent. I have read up on the bladder problems on the internet and the likelihood is that down the line there will be all sorts of problems with infection and kidney damage and the likely cause...yep, nerve damage during surgery!!! Add in the dural tear and I'm beginning to wonder, if she operated on me blindfolded!!

All this and I still have the MRI scan results to come too!! My instinct is that they are not going to be good news. She is going to hold off from the referral to the Neurologist until after the scan results come back. I can't face the urological assessment because to do the urodynamic pressure tests they have to catheterise you and I am totally phobic. Before both surgeries I made it very clear that I would not accept a catheter under any circumstances. And from what I've read, it is actually two tubes!! There is just no way. Has anybody else had this sort of damage from their surgery, or had experience of the urodynamic tests???

Before the first surgery because I had been so messed about by the hospital I was tempted not to bother. In fact I only decided to go less than two hours before I was due to be admitted. Now with everything that has happened I wonder if my fate would have been worse without the surgery?? I'm still on the same painkillers and the surgery(s!!!) not only don't seem to have worked, but I've had all these additional problems too.

I just wanted normal surgery and a normal recovery. I didn't want a miracle.

TFU (who wonders when this nightmare will finally be over!!)

• Posted

TFU, you are sounding like me!!!

I had urinary damage from 1st op and only lived with it until they did the second op. They were on about catheterising me at that stage!!! I said no way. I had incontinence stuff which I thought was embarrassing enough at my age. Luckily things sorted themselves out after second surgery.

But hey, guess what now? Like you I am having a nightmare. Not only do I have a very damaged right leg due to surgery, but now - wait for it - my left leg has gone. Yes - I have a trapped sciatic nerve in left leg and they cant do anything about it because I'm 3 weeks post op after a dynesis.

I have to 'live with it' as they say. I get my wheelchair tomorrow too. Great coz I can now go out and look an idiot. No i mean i feel like one. sorry.

Chat soon - keep your chin up. Try to like me. Sometimes it works.

Jess

• Posted

hi there just a word of warning if u get cab 2 help u fill the forms in go over them yourself as sometimes they dont put down enough information, or express how bad the painis. I got 2 forms got them 2 fill in 1 then i copied what they siad and added my own words and experiance 2 it, just phone dla up and tell them u lost the form and they will send u a new 1 out good luck xcolyx smile
  • Posted

Hi Jess,

Sounds like you are having a hard time. Some days I wish I could just wake up and this neverending nightmare would be over!! No doubt you feel the same. I just don't know what else we can get hit with. I know I'm lucky in that I have my mobility and I'm sort of well enough to be back at work, but the long term effects of this mess is just starting to make sense. I just cannot cope with the thought of going in for another op or the fact that the problems with my leg/foot are going to probably be permanent. It's really hard isn't it?

Hopefully, the problems with your left leg will setle down. as sciatica is caused by compression, what level is causing the problem?

I made a decision yesterday. I want to do something about my left foot. For months the toes have been all scrunched up and sort of locked. It went away after the first op but came back after the second op. In her letter to my GP my Consultant called them clawed toes. For some reason that really upset me. Anyway, I want to get them sorted out, before all the bones etc get permanently damaged. But I don't know if I should go to a Chiropractor, Chiropodist or Podiatrist? I know some people have the same problem with their toes. Who is the best type of person to sort it out??

Keep your chin up Jess. It's early days still. For both of us. It was encouraging to hear that your bladder problem sorted itself out. It gives me hope! Nothing the Consultant has said has ever given me hope!!!

Best wishes

TFU

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.