Pain so bad I can barely stay on my feet.

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is my first time ever having shingles. I have on my left side from my belly button running up under my ribs and a little higher than my kidney running up my back.

I have had pain so bad the last three days I can barely stay on my feet before I have to quickly lay down to alleviate some of the pain. Has anyone here had pain that bad?

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have. I am 73 and my attack was 13 months ago. It was preceded by extreme back and stomach pains I thought were caused by the remodeling work I was doing. After two weeks of this pain the rash appeared on my lower right side back and stomach. I had to seek medical.The pain became so intense I felt my skin was on fire. I never found anything to give me relief. The pain abated mostly after 3 months. The rash stayed for 7 months. I got the Shingrix vaccines hoping I never get shingles again. Good luck, you should get some good advice on this forum soon
  • Posted

Hello Aaron. Sorry that you are going through this, friend. Yes, the pain that you are describing is the same for many. For some, it burns like you've been set on fire. For others, the pain is like being hit with a cattle prod. For many people, the pain is both. Having suffered with shingles for 8 very long years, i am truly sorry for what you are enduring now. You have come to the right place, friend. There are many good people here on this forum, who have been where you are right now and can offer you support as well as great advice. Since you know it is shingles, i assume you have already seen a doctor. Hopefully, your doctor has started you on Antiviral meds. Be sure to take them EXACTLY as directed. If after 5 days on these antivirals, you do not begin to improve, go back to your doctor without delay for a stronger dose or an alternative antiviral. This is not something you want to delay, as shingles can and will get worse. In addition, the longer you have an outbreak, the higher risk you are of developing permanent damage to your nerves and a lifetime of pain. Unfortunately, pain meds are a reality with shingles. Tylenol and Ibuprofen will have little to no effect on this pain, so spare your liver and kidneys the trouble of filtering them. Your doctor should have prescribed you strong pain medication. If he did not, see another doctor promptly. Shingles pain itself, will bring on more shingles, so pain meds are a must. Use great caution with them and best to NEVER self-medicate. Have your spouse or someone else that you trust, give you these pain meds. We have already lost too many good people to opioid addiction. So once you have taken that first pain pill, assume that you are no longer mentally capable to decide when you can take the next. Most important, when you are clear of the shingles, be sure to get the new shingles vaccine "Shingrix". It is very new, having just been approved and released this past January 2018, so ask for it by name. It is a 2 dose vaccine, taken 2 months apart. I am living proof that this vaccine DOES work. After over 140 shingles outbreaks, countless hospital stays, and taking 3000 mg everyday for over 5 full years, I am NOW shingle free. Shingles is not the same as in our parents and grandparents had it. Shingles is now hitting people in their 30's and 40's now and for many, it is recurring. So please, do not delay getting this vaccine as soon as you are shingle free. One last thing....avoid ALL stress during this time. Stress can bring on shingles faster than anything else and it will also make your current shingles worse. You won't be able to power through this, so take it easy and rest all you can. Good luck friend. Hope you will be feeling better very soon. Take care.

• Posted

Aaron and others. I have had the older vaccine, and I am not sure it has been approved by NICE* in England yet (if ever) . However, if I can go `private' and pay for it myself, I would probably look seriously at that route re my PHN. regards, Colin, England.  (* NICE is the UK National Institute for Clinical Excellence, which regulates the drugs available on the UKs National Health Service - the NHS )

• Posted

Dear Aaron,

I am so sorry you are going through this right now. I understand the agonizing, lancinating pain, sleepless nights, and suffering.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

This is a summary of the stages, signs and symptoms of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and medical management of the disease.

During the Pre-eruptive Phase, you may have some of the following symptoms:

Duration 1-10 Days, but the rash occasionally takes much longer to appear

Headache

Photophobia

Generalized Aches and Pains

Fever, Chills, and Sweating

Enlarged Lymph Nodes near the pain and rash

Fatigue and Exhaustion

Pain usually preceding the rash

Description of pain: deep burning or aching pain, or electric shock–like pains, like a cattle prod, taser, etc.

Acute Eruptive Phase

Rash of grouped vesicle-blisters in a dermatomal pattern.

Occurs in waves or crops over a period of 5-7 days.

Vesicle-blisters look dissimilar and are of different sizes.

The rash is on a red base.

The pain may continue to increase into the second and third week.

The clear vesicle-blisters cloud over, look like pustules, scab over, and turn black. This process may take between 2-4 weeks. Once every vesicle-blister has scabbed over, you are no longer infectious!

You are considered infectious (contagious) if your rash is open to the air, ie not covered, to anyone who has not had chickenpox. This includes all pregnant women! Remember, not all women know they are pregnant!

Chronic Phase (Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN)

30 days after onset of rash. Definition varies

Duration may last months or years after initial episode of Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

The resolution of the scars can take up to a year to heal.

Management and Medications

ANTIVIRALS: THE CORNERSTONE OF TREATMENT

Famciclovir 500 mg 3x daily 7-10 days, sometimes 14 days.

Smallest Tablet

Convenient dosing

Least Resistance

Most efficacious

Valcyclovir 1000 mg 3x daily 7-10 days

Large Tablets difficult to swallow for some

Based on Acyclovir

Acyclovir 800 mg 5x daily 7-10 days

Inconvenient Dose Schedule

Growing Resistance to Varicella Virus

Acyclovir is the antiviral most often prescribed in the UK.

What dosage of the medication are you on? Sometimes, the Physician places the patient on a lower dose, but needs to increase it to help with the pain-itching.

Sometimes, you need to be placed on a cocktail of medications, as they will work synergistically to help you. These are all by prescription. I have grouped them according to class. A clinician would start with one from the Anticonvulsant class, taper the dosage up, then one from the Antidepressant Class, etc. This list is by no means complete.

ANALGESICS

NSAIDS

Ibuprofen

Naprosyn

Acetominophen

OPIOIDS

Oxycodone

Hydrocodone

Codeine

CBD

ANTI-CONVULSANTS

Gabapentin-Neurontin

Pregabalin-Lyrica

ANTI-DEPRESSANTS

SNRIs

Cymbalta

Effexor-Venlafaxine

HETEROCYCLICS

Nortriptyline

Amitriptyline

2. I would find 100% cotton knit clothing. Make sure there are no seams to irritate your skin. The cotton knit is the most breathable, least irritating cloth to most individuals.

3. Use Lidocaine Cream or Spray OTC topically to help with the pain- itching, eg, Solarcaine with Aloe or Bactine. Many on this forum feel either Lidocaine or Benzocaine help with the pain-itching. The cream might soothe the inflamed nerve endings better and last longer on the skin. You can only use Lidocaine 12 hours on and 12 hours off, as the usefulness will extinguish itself.

4. Use ice or cool compresses. Do not take hot showers, as it will only increase the pain-itching

5. You need to rest and sleep. You cannot power through this disease. Do not go back to work! This virus is way stronger than you are, and you will only get more pain, the more exertion you do. Physical activity worsens the pain.

6. Most Importantly, get the Shingrex Immunization. It is a two phase vaccine, two months apart. It is given intramuscularly. It is highly efficacious in stopping Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN and recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Shingrex is available in the US at the pharmacy and covered by insurance if you are over 50 years of age. If you are younger than 50, and have had a documented case of shingles, it is still covered.

If you are in the UK/Canada/Australia/NZ, I know it has been distributed there, but the national health insurance may not cover it until age 70, which is ridiculous. It is expensive, but I would have paid thousands not to have recurrent shingles.

Aaron, we are here to support you. Go to your Physician and request opioids ie oxycodone for the severe pain, plus Gabapentin to help with the Neurogenic pain. We understand the excruciating pain. If your Physician refuses, it is time to switch Physicians.

Best Wishes.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Merry

A while ago we a discussed a `sticky' on this Shingles section to help you not to have to spend time answering the same old Shingles questions, over and over; as new people come along.

I think your answer to Aaron about 17 hours ago could well be that `Sticky'. It would need someone who is an IT/Website `whizz kid' who could help get your advice permanently published on the Patient Shingles section. It would help many new Shingles sufferers. (and Doctors !)

Thank you so much Merry, you have been such a great `Educator' re Shingles.

Regards and all the best, Colin, England.

• Posted

Merry I see you are an expert on the subject and I am greatful for your knowledge filled posts. I have a question. My 2nd day having the worst pain and symptoms I threw up about 16 times at the time I thought I had Kidney Stones. Well now here we are about two weeks in and I'm having a lot of trouble with my stomach. My appetite is nearly shot and I keep Pepto bismal close by. How often do people with Shingles exhibit stomach problems during the virus?

• Posted

Aaron,

When the shingles is nearer the abdominal area, it affects them worse and cause abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Some people do not tolerate the Antivirals, causing nausea and vomiting. Do you have vomiting? If not, I would definitely take them to the end, or the effects of Shingles can be much worse than the tempory discomfort of the medication.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry I threw up 16 times the 2nd night after my first ER visit which I was diagnosed with kidney stones. I was given Tramadol and Teradol. That may have induced the vomiting or it could have been the Shingles. The Shingles I have literally run from my bellybutton and than up to my stomach and over and under the lower rib cage and back around my back to right above my kidney to the spine. I will admit I get shocks so bad through that area it makes me clinch my stomach and my ab muscles quite frequently.

I haven't thrown up since that one night. I went back to ER and was diagnosed with Shingles. It was at that point they gave me an antibiotic, valtrex, and Tylenol 4. My stomach has just been very nauseated and sluggish. Sometimes I'm just eating extremely small scattered snacks through out the day to take the medicine and every two days I seem to get a reasonable meal down late at night. But it's far below what I usually eat. I've lost 7 pounds. Its been about two weeks now today. I'm hoping I start turning the corner this week. I just didn't know if all these problems I'm having with my stomach are normal.

• Posted

Aaron, I was 77 kg (multiply by about  2.2 to get to pounds) before shingles; dropped as low as 62 kg, now at 64 kg, but I am only 66 inches tall. Shingles,or the drugs*, caused me very unpleasant bowel movements to start with, then later on I just had no appetite. My appetite is now recovering slightly, some 10 months on....hence the 64 kg right now. Regards, Colin, England.

(*acyclovir + blood pressure meds)

• Posted

Aaron,

Did you ask the Physician for something stronger than Tylenol#4?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello,

Unfortunately the answer is YES YES YES!  Most of we Shingles patients have experienced worse pain than we've EVER had before.  I was confined to bed in agony for 9 weeks - and have had PHN ever since (7 years and counting ...).  It saps one of energy in the worst way and having to lie down is usual.  Merry, who has suffered for YEARS will tell you all you need to know about this insidious malady.  It isn't pretty.  Hope you were able to get the meds at the onset?  Too late if you're not diagnosed within a couple of days.  It's a wretched disease.  Until we are afflicted, we have no idea of how unbearable it is.  Get the new vaccine as soon as  possible.  Sending you many get well messages and hope to goodness you don't get the dreaded PHN (same pain/no blisters).  Make sure your friends know how important it is to get vaccinated - even though it can be expensive, depending upon where you reside.

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone. I never knew Shingles caused so much pain! It's been so intense I originally went into the hospital believing I had full blown Kidney Stones. I also thought when I first seen the spots that I had been bitten by a spider. The stabs and the shocks are horrible. For about the last 3 days it's been so bad I really can't stay up longer than 5 minutes. Which is just as scary as it is painful. Sometimes the fear of this pain never going away kind of freaks me out. It's been about a week and two days so far.

The 2nd visit I was diagnosed with Shingles and given morphine through an IV. He sent me away with an antibiotic, valtrex, and Tylenol 4. I'm not a big fan of Tylenol 4 as I don't feel it works very well.

• Posted

Hi Aaron. You hang in there friend. You are NOT alone in this. The great people here on this forum truly care about what you're going through. Stay in touch and keep sharing, as it's healthy. This can be a lonely disease. Unless a person has suffered from shingles, there is no way they can understand the nightmare rollercoaster you are on right now. The people you find here DO understand and sometimes it just helps to know you are not alone at 1:00 in the morning and also knowing that when you say you hurt, people really get it.

You are most likely correct about the Tylenol not giving you the relief you need and will possibly need in the future. Opioids are dangerous if not handled wisely but with shingles, they are a must. You do have a right to be out of pain and your doctor should be told if you are still hurting. If your doctor has not treated many shingles cases or people with mild cases, then he may not understand exactly what you are going through. The pain alone can bring on more shingles so if you are not getting pain relief, i would strongly suggest you go back to your doctor and let him give you something alot stronger. I know I have said thus before but do NOT self medicate. Let someone you trust administer your pain meds to you. If your doctor is not sensitive to the level of pain you are in, then it's time to find yourself another doctor. We have all felt that same fear you are feelung, that your pain will never stop but take comfort Aaron. There ARE meds that can help relieve the pain and when you are past this outbreak, the new shingles vaccine DOES work. My shingles were such that i had to be hospitalized and sedated just to get through it because it was so close to my brain, with pain that was much like lightening in a bottle and all i could do was scream till they knocked me out cold each time, typically for 2-3 days. I didn't take antiviral meds only when i had an outbreak. I took 3000 mg every single day for over 6 years and i was STILL getting shingles. These past 2 years, after many hospital stays, i've was able to be sedated in my home each time shingles would strike. For the most part of 8 years, i had no life. There was serious doubt that this new vaccine would even work for me at all and the shingles were coming every few days before i was even healed from the previous outbreak. I had already begun to give up hope myself and was thinking that shingles would most likely take my life, either with a heart attack from the pain or liver failure due to all the constant high dose meds. Having no other options left, i had to take both vaccine doses while having an active case of shingles both times. Of course, this was under close doctor's care and i would NOT suggest it to anyone but i do not regret it either. It took almost the entire two months, after i took the first dose, before i saw ANY improvement but when it started working, it worked fast. Aaron, if this vaccine worked for me, it will work for most everyone. I truly believe this. I am living proof that this vaccine DOES work. I have my life back now.

So, there IS hope, Aaron. You just need to do damage control right now, to get yourself past this current outbreak, so you can get the Shingrix vaccine as soon as possible. First thing being to get your pain under control. Please go see your doctor. Tell him you are in extreme pain. Tell him you are not sleeping. Be straight forward. Please know you are in my prayers and in the prayers of many on the forum. You take care, friend.

• Posted

Aaron

About 2 weeks into my Shingles, I was so weak, it once took me 20 minutes to get out of bed. Also I felt so weak that I could barely lift my arm to turn on the bedroom wall switch, so hang in there and pay attention to all that Merry writes. Regards to all, Colin, England. (70 year old Male).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.