Pain so bad I can barely stay on my feet.

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is my first time ever having shingles. I have on my left side from my belly button running up under my ribs and a little higher than my kidney running up my back.

I have had pain so bad the last three days I can barely stay on my feet before I have to quickly lay down to alleviate some of the pain. Has anyone here had pain that bad?

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As soon as my GP saw the outbreak on my nose and forehead, he insisted I went to the eye care Clinic at a Hospital 20 miles away, THAT DAY. The Optical Doctor there seemed surprised that I was not on Acyclovir already, and gave me a Script there and then.  They examined me with their optical gear, and a rudimentary sight test .They stated that they thought Shingles was not in the optic nerve, but to in 3 days time, to go back to my GP for another check over. 

In the next 4-5 days, my right eye became half closed, with scabs in my eyebrow, and below the eye, but at no time did I get blurred vision.

regards, Colin, England

• Posted

I feel like I'm having relapse today terrible headaches, weak body, massive fatigue, and my stomach hurts. Almost feels like food poisoning or the flu.

• Posted

Hi Aaron. Sorry you are still feeling poorly friend. The antiviral meds themselves can cause those very same symptoms but if you are in doubt, you might want to get back in to see your doctor. Shingles can get out of control fast and this is one run away train you won't catch unless you catch it early.

• Posted

Thats interesting you bring that point up about the anti-virals. I was wondering if maybe the medicine was also making me feel this way.
    • Posted

In you are unsure, check with your doctor but yes, the antiviral meds to treat your shingles can make you feel bad all by themselves. They can make you feel nauseous, run down, achy and these symptoms will throw off your eating pattern, which then leads to digestive issues that can take a couple weeks to level back out. At the same time, the shingles virus can also give you these same symptoms before and during an outbreak. Many people feel fatigue, achy, feverish and other flu-like symptoms right before an outbreak. Keep in mind that shingles is caused by the very same chicken pox virus that our kids had when they were little and with it came fever and an overall bad day spent in bed, with us stepping and fetching to their every demand just to keep them comfortable. They itched, they whined, they felt bad and most of them slept alot. Your body just fought off that same virus but lost. Now that same virus has literally infected an actual nerve ending that happens to be about center mass of your body. With an access tooth, we typically feel terrible all over but we can get meds antibiotic meds that can kill the infection/bacteria and within a few days be feeling better before we even go back to our dentist to have it repaired. But with shingles, you are dealing with a virus and antiviral meds can slow the duplication of the virus and keep it from spreading but the virus will still remain in your body, laying dormant till its next opportunity to go active. So, your symptoms could either be the antiviral you are taking or the shingles virus itself. If it is the antiviral, it can seem like a difficult trade off but as poorly as the meds may make you feel taking them, it's a small price to pay when you consider that shingles is your other alternative. Unlike the flu, you won't be able to power through shingles and the more you try to fight or keep up your normal routine of work or stress or anything other than pure rest, the worse your shingles can and will become, with or without the antiviral meds. Taking these antiviral meds is temporary, whereas shingles left untreated can easily become a lifetime sentence without parole. I am truly sorry you are feeling so poorly friend and hope you will be over this very soon. Be sure to rest, keep eating and plenty of fluids. Get well soon : )

• Posted

Hi Aaron. I replied to your message but my response is being "moderated" for some odd reason. Maybe it will be released soon. Sorry you are still feeling so poorly and hoping you feel better soon

• Posted

Acyclovir helped me in the early stages. In later weeks, Gabapentin did not suit me, as I did not feel `with it' and I became unsteady on my feet. As I have said before, I felt so weak and tired, and generally ill, in the early days of Shingles. Regards to all, Colin, England

• Posted

The Moderators possibly think there is some `Commercial' or legal sensitivity re your post, or a link to another Web Site. Regards, Colin, England

• Posted

Agreed, that's most likely the case. Don't these fine folks, AKA "Moderators" realize we've fought virtual wars with an enemy called shingles and none of us are feeling all the ambitious these days? HA HA! 😜

• Posted

Hi r.f.

Nothing these days really comes for `free', including web page hosting. However, us `shingle-ites' do need a place to `vent' now and again, especially when so many Doctors simply do not understand what we are going through. But all in all, I can live with a few moderation issues, when guys/girls like you and Merry are active on this site:-). All the best, Colin, England.

• Posted

Awe, you are sweet, Colin. Well put, friend. I think i will coin that phrase "shingle-ites". . . . i like that. Agreed that we all do indeed need a place to vent now and again. There are many good people on this forum and we are all thankful for your kind words and generous advice. Shingles is one of those illnesses one can just as easily crawl inside a hole of self-pity, due to the misery it causes but to take the take to come on here and support others who are suffering too does my heart good to know that there are still good people in this great big world. I hope for you and everyone today, a day of rest, relief and the biggest smile ever.

• Posted

RF

When I wish to inform an individual of an item that may be a brand name, I hit the envelope for a private, uncensored message. Also, I use that if I feel the individual might wish to share more private details of his or her life.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you r.f.  Underneath that cuddly exterior ? perhaps a bent stainless steel spine ?? But, in general, I do like my fellow Woman/Man, and the people on this forum are such a great resource. Regards, Colin. England
    • Posted

Hello thanks for the response. Today begins the third week of this ordeal and i still feel extremely run down and flu like. Just low energy, exhaustion, nausea and that general feeling you have when you have a bad flu. I can now stay on my feet longer than five minutes without having to lay down quickly but that's about the only improvement. I still feel plenty bad and still have quite a bit of stabbing aching pain deep inside my body where the shingles are located. I'm hoping some of this starts to wear away this week.

• Posted

Thank you Merry. I will keep that in mind next time, friend. I hadn't thought of that at the time. I hope this finds you and everyone else on this forum, enjoying a good day. For those, suffering today, please know that you have friends here who hear you and many prayers are going up on your behalf. I feel so truly blessed to have found this forum, as it has taken away much of the loneliness this disease causes, just knowing others DO understand, even when family, friends and even doctors can't, unless they have walked this path. I love you all.

I have been admitted these past 3 days to the hospital and have been moved from ICU, to step down unit. Thankful that the new Shingrix vaccine has all but stopped my shingles outbreaks but the large number of reoccurrences did leave damage to my 5th cranial nerve and what was strongly suspected and suggested previously, is now the official diagnosis. The damage to my 5th cranial nerve has left me with Trigeminal Neuralgia. For this reason and seizures, i was transported, via ambulance, to the hospital on Sunday. A depressing diagnosis, hearing it said out loud in these very real and sobering surroundings, but they are keeping my pain at minimum with Dilaudid and Amytriptiline. Following an uncomfortable EEG yesterday that provoked several seizures during and after the test, i am not at my best look with matted hair and knots standing out in all directions. If anyone can suggest a good detangler, i would be greatly appreciatiative because my "It's a 10" hair product is not doing the job. Love to all.

~Rhonda

• Posted

...you forgot to include your heart of gold, friend. Yes i agree this is a great resource for information and also a sensitive ear to listen when you just need to vent. God bless everyone here. God bless you Colin. When i am feeling better, i would love to hear more of Engkang, as I've never had the pleasure to visit there but hope to one day. You take care friend

• Posted

Dear Rhonda,

I am disheartened to hear your news, just when your health seemed to improve a bit❣️.My heart goes out to you. I do not know of a good hair detangler, but shall look it up.

I worry about you, my dear friend, as you struggle to improve.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and how we can help you.

All my love,

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.