Pain/Something Under My Toe?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is an odd one that I'm struggling to look up. Basically I have some mild foot pain at the base of one toe (the one immediately next to the big toe on my left foot), this has lasted about a week or so.

However, what has me concerned is that when I plant my foot on a flat, hard surface I'm getting a sensation like I'm stepping upon something in that area, like a small stone or such.

The paranoid part of my brain thinks "oh my god I've got bits of broken bone in there" but the logical part can't fathom how that would be possible. There is no swelling, bruising, discolouration or other external symptoms.

And the only "trauma" to my feet recently would have been about two weeks ago on a weekend trip to Barcelona, which involved a lot of walking about in shoes that I don't think give adequate support. However the problem wasn't with this area of my foot but my heels, so I'm not sure how that would have had an impact.

Since then I have been embarassingly inactive, not evening leaving the house (I'm a programmer and work from home so it's a constant danger).

To clarify, the pain and sensation only occur when putting weight on the foot; if I poke the area with my fingers I don't feel anything abnormal, and it doesn't hurt (unless I press too hard, but that's normal). Stepping on most carpeted surfaces doesn't cause the issue either.

Any ideas what it might be? If it doesn't go away in a few more days I'm going to make an appointment with my GP, but I feel like I'm one of those people that's usually wasting time, so if it's something obviously minor I can ignore or deal with myself I'd appreciate any advice!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Haravikk, it could be the start of Mortons Neuroma, which is a nerve problem. I had it between the 3rd/4th toe. You can try a gel support that sits in your shoe and supports the ball of your foot. You may need ultrasound down and if it is a treu diagnoses an injection may help. Otherwise its surgery, which I had done after beign injected 3 times, and so far so good. I would definately see your GP to get a diagnosis.
  • Posted

from your description of the symptoms it would appear to be Mortons Neuroma, it is easily diagnosed by your GP who should be your first port of call, he may arrange an ultrasound scan and if confirmed he may reccomend steroid injections ino the site or possible surgery to remove the neuroma, gel pads may provide temporary relief as a short term solution to ease the discomfort
  • Posted

Haravikk,  I fell and broke my tibia and fibula last February.  When I finally got out of the boot and ankle brace I had the same sensation.  Only when I put my bare foot on the floor (flat, hard, surface) did I have the sensation, like I was stepping on something, or something was stuck to the bottome of my foot.  Actually I had the feeling in two different places, a spot under the heel and one further up towards my big toe.  I still don't know what caused it but it went away on its own after about three or four weeks.  My advice would be give it some time.

• Posted

I think you're right; I actually meant to update this morning but forgot, as I've noticed some improvement already over the last two days.

I should have probably been clearer in the original post that the pain wasn't especially severe, my main concern was the odd sensation as if I were stepping on something. But today I can barely feel that sensation and the pain pretty mild.

So I'll hold off on an appointment to see if it clears up completely by the end of the week I think.

From what I've read I think brian60747 and auntiebessie may be right that it could be Mortons Neuroma, which is just a variety of trapped nerve, so as long as inflammation doesn't get out of control I suppose it can clear up fairly easily.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies, it's a great help to be able to have a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) opinion!

• Posted

Sounds like morton's neuroma.   my husband had this for a couple of years.   he had some alcohol injections by a podiatrist that did nothing  --- finally went to an ortho surgeon and he told him to buy Hapad Metatarsal Pads and that did the trick but it took a long time.   we got hard wood floors in our house and there was no carpeting for padding anymore  --- that lead to some foot problems for both of us.  love the hard wood look but i wonder if it was the best thing for our feet.

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.