Pain starting 4 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically in September, almost 4 months ago. At first everything was fine, recovery was pretty easy and I was pleasantly surprised that i didn't experience diarrhoea or any other problems that others seem to have. Until about a month ago, and since then I have been experiencing pain in various places in my right hand side almost constantly, occasional diarrhoea (which is not normal for me) and loss of appetite most days. I don't know whether this is related to my surgery or something else completely so I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I have a doctors appointment booked but it's really worrying me (and i know the anxiety isn't helping!), so any experiences/advice would be appreciated, thanks!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hannah.

it took a full year before my body returned to normal. Six months after the op, I thought I was back to normal. But i started getting really bad pain around my bellybutton, like crushing glass. Then my stomach started playing up, when it hadnt before.

i had all sorts of scans, but it all came back clear. It really can take a long time. Go to your doctors apt for peace of mind, but dont worry, it'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Hannah, I had gallbladder surgery 5 months ago and about 3 months after surgery started having pain in my right side where the gallbladder used to be. It will also go around my side and into my back and sometimes go across my upper abdomen and over to the left. The right sided pain is constant. Do you have any other symptoms other than pain like loss of appetite or weight loss or anything else. I have had so many tests and all coming out ok. I'm not sure what the cause is. Did you have stones? Sometimes a stone can be stuck in the bile duct and cause the pain in your right aide. It can take the body up to a year and sometimes longer to adjust but I'd have it checked since the pain has been going on for awhile. Sorry you're going through this and i hope you feel better and can get some answers.

• Posted

Thanks. My appetite hadn't been great, but i think sometimes anxiety is partly responsible. The pain moves around, so just when i start to wonder if it's linked to my surgery or something else it changes again. i just hope the dr can make sense of my vague and varying symptoms!

• Posted

I hope the doctors can help you too. Where does your pain move around to and is it still constant?

• Posted

Hopefully they can help, anyone who suffers from anything like this is so strong and it's such a horrible painful disease that affects our mental health.

Mine is located just below the right rib and doesn't really move, the pain comes with nausea episodes as well.

Really bad attacks and the pain starts to go into the back area.

• Posted

the pain is sometimes around my belly button, sometimes lower right abdomen, sometimes upper right! I've been to my doctor's appointment, i didn't feel like it was being taken very seriously but been referred for blood tests and a scan so hopefully something will come from that (even just to rule things out). I'm going to try extra hard to work on my mental health as well, as worrying is certainly making things worse.

• Posted

It can definitely take a toll on you physically and mentally. Are you able to eat much? Have you had a loss of appetite or lost weight?

• Posted

I can relate! I went to be looked over too with the same symptoms and they acted like I was worrying for nothing. It didn't feel great when I know I'm not a baby and the pain can be really bad at times.

Hopefully it will get sorted out. Not nice to live like this.

• Posted

my appetite comes and goes, I'm definitely eating less so i probably have lost weight. I'll just wait and see if my bloods and scan show up anything i guess which means no answers for at least a few more weeks!

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out in August and I'm experiencing similar. I have pain around my belly button and sometimes it goes through to my back.

I get bloating, nausea and heartburn.

I will see a doctor to make sure things are okay but I know it's tough to not worry. I always worry that it's c but I try very hard not to.

It's difficult though when you've not experienced these things before and it keeps going on and on.

Hang in there, I know what it's like.

• Posted

Type 3, even harder to be clear how to diagnoise, all the symptoms of gall bladder pain.

Very painful, still awaiting if I am having surgery or not!

• Posted

I would fall in the type 3 category as well. Had so many tests and all ok but not an ERCP to confirm SOD. do you still have your gallbladder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.