Pain Still 12 days Post OP

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sometimes we just need a hug in life and this forum is my big hug! I am flying home tomorrow night and just need some reassurance that what I am experiencing is normal.....I am still taking pain killers every 5 hours...My physio says my hip is doing great when he checks everything. I am doing his exercises faithfully and I am walking with a cane. here is my question....I know the "ball" pain at the back of the butt, don't really feel much from incision. My pain kind of goes down my thigh. Is that normal? it's a combo of pain if that makes sense. Are others feeling this? I am guessing it is from the spike put in my leg. I see the surgeon tomorrow and will get an xray. I am getting better but honestly going home I thought I would be in less pain? Thank you for your comments!!!! Should I not feel bad about still needing the pain meds?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Savy:

My guess is that the discomfort you are experiencing is from the sciatic nerve.  To access your hip, the surgeon would need to go through a lot of ligaments, tissue nd muscle, so obviously, nerve ending are going to be involved.  Not only, that, your body is having to adjust to different "set up" i.e. a different way of walking involving muscles and muscle groups that have either not been used, or used incorrectly to compensate for the arthitic hip.  As long as yu follow your surgeon and physio's recommendations regarding exercise, care, etc., your affected hip and leg will adjust.

Good luck, and do have a very Mery Christmas and Happy New Year,

Susie  

• Posted

Savyj please be sure you use your support hose on during the flight especially to avoid blood clots to the lungs. And do the heal to your tap as you sit to keep the blood flowing. best to you
  • Posted

Dear Savy , 

Well, as you can see, what you are feeling is normal and taking pain medication is normal too - Often one wants to stop the painkillers because of fear of addiction or just that they are bad for you ... however, we also have been told to keep taking them and keep the level up, so to speak - instead of waiting for the pain to come back with a vengeance, take them as prescribed - you will still feel some discomfort but it will be manageble and you can  do your exercises etc. 

I know, the hardware ....  no wonder we feel stiff and all sort of things - and all those people who do these miraculeous things ....

tough not to compare to others but it is better not to ... 

you are right Savy ... I was in a pityful shape before THR surgery - years of limping and bad posture - less mobility - and now I have 2 THR surgeries and need to walk properly, be aware of my posture, sit , stand up, exhausting but neceassary - 

It seems to be worse or not better than before surgery, but it really is NOT - just different -

have a safe and comfortable flight ! 

big warm hug and love

renee

• Posted

Savy, 

Renee is right - take the painkillers.  I was told that not taking them is actually harming your recovery because you develop bad walking habits.

It's difficult not to compare our recovery,but we are all so different - I am beginning to wonder if I actually have two problems, the 'lightning bolt down the leg' being the osteoarthritis, and a limp caused by pain in the front muscles of the upper thigh actually being something else.

This may of course be caused by not walking properly for ages due to the osteoarthritis.

Renee is an inspiration and a source of really good information, and as she says, it's just different.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

I'd like to give yet another vote for taking enough pain killers. They are necessary to help learn to walk again, properly and without limping. Pain is so depressing and makes recovery that much harder.

And here's to an uneventful plane ride.

Keena

• Posted

I have been back to the Dr today and got a supply of cocodomol to keep day time pain on a even keel I

Did try just paracetamol but not strong enough also couldn't understand why I had a extra drain hole Dr thinks it could be because there was a lot of blood loss I see the consultant on 7/1/16 for check up I will ask him then xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.