Pain & Swelling 6 mos post Cartiva surgery

Posted , 18 users are following.

Dr has ordered CT scan. Does anyone know of someone having to have their Cartiva implant removed? 

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no, did you wear compression socks to hold down the swelling 
  • Posted

I had Multiple Ace Wrap Bandages on at all times. Iced consistently, stayed off my feet and kept it elevated. MD delayed the removal of sutures by a week and he extended the length of time that I wasn't allowed to drive. Can't remember now... but either 4 to 6 weeks. 

Physical therapist was never thrilled w/results. Lots of scar tissue at incision site and toe would make an odd "crunching" sound when I tried to bend it. Due to the swelling on the bottom of my foot I can't bend it very far. Finished 2 mos of therapy the end of July and her recommendation at that time was to wear an enclosed shoe instead of a sandal to control swelling, stay off my foot as much as possible and keep icing.

Throughout this entire recovery process (including PT) I continued to have pain off & on, swelling, achiness, & spasms. Dr had to break the bone for Akin Osteotomy, it's to be expected. And truly there were some bad days. But this, this has just become non-stop chronic pain and I am so sick of it. I meditate a lot & I have a high tolerance for pain, but after a while it wears on a person. I need to keep my weight down because I have spinal issues & I can't walk w/o my foot swelling up. I want my life back.

Had scan on Friday, hopefully CT results will be read out and I can pick them up at Hospital tomorrow.

• Posted

Lola, I am in the same boat as you but I’m one year out now and considering having the Cartiva removed. What was your outcome?
    • Posted

I had my cartiva implant done in Oct 2016. By January I was good once I found comfortable shoes-men’s sketchers were the best. But I had crunching on outside of foot. Late summer of 2017-started feeling like my big toe and ball of foot were carrying all my weight. The doctor noticed my second and third toes were rising up so he gave me an insert to stretch them back in place. I was his second patient and he told me then that it happening in others. Shortly after those toes realigned themselves the pain in the ball of the toe intensified as did pain along the outside of toe. My go-to shoes became very painful. All winter long no shoe was comfortable. In April he told me about 50% of surgeries don’t work and declaired minea failure. I am scheduled to have it removed and the toe fused. I am not a happy camper. My other toe is in bad shape too. So eventually I have to deal with that one. 
  • Posted

I am 6mo out right now. I am going through the EXACT same thing. Yesterday I accidentally bumped the outer bone and I can not walk now.. the pain is excruciating. I had some pain before (and the crunching) ..including an aching spasm now and then..but this is almost intolerable. Not sure what Im going to do
    • Posted

i never was able to have my fusion but nothing has changed except sandals got me thru summer not sure when ill do it as I'm in need of shoulder replacement how are you doing?

• Posted

1st implant nov 2017, failed and replaced feb 2018, now scheduling another surgery as 2nd implant failed.

• Posted

i had my surgery 2.5 months ago. Sometimes it feels like my toe joint is stuck and its almost like cracking the knuckle to bend it up it also hurts to bend it up towards the ceiling. Doc did not schedule physical therapy but i feel it needs to be assessed . Also the joint closest to my toe nail now burns and aches. Now looking for research on indicators of failure.

• Posted

When mine failed I had pain with movement, or just throbing, and it made a clicking sound. So after 2 implants failed I now have a fusion. The fusion is painful and swollen and finding comfortable shoes is a task. I need a rocker sole like Hoka or Sketchers or a flat shoe like Alegria.

• Posted

Sorry for all your pain! Do you know why your implants failed?? Im seeking some answers to why these are failing my surgeon is no longer doing Cartiva

• Posted

had CT SCAN orthopaedic surgeon recommending Cartiva removal and suggesting fusion anyone else in this predicament? my surgeon has stopped Cartiva implants all together too many failing and quickly i had 30 days of mild relief and back to daily chronic pain again

• Posted

i haven't seen my surgeon in awhile as i needed shoulder replaced first. i do not know if my surgeon isn't doing it anymore. My husband had fusion for a removal of bunion and his recovery was way longer-6 weeks no weight - unlike where i could walk with boot on. i need both feet done...

walking and finding comfortable shoes continue to be very difficult. and as someone else said i too need to walk to loose weight

• Posted

I was told by my doctor that if the Cartiva implant didn't work, he could always do a fusion. I had my surgery on both toes on January 15, 2019. X-rays showed the implants looked good. I am still experiencing soreness. My doctor on March 4th told me it's normal for my feet to hurt. He said to give it another 6 to 8 weeks for the soreness to go away. I hope he's right. Joe

• Posted

sure hope so!! many seem to have great success! i cant stand too much more pain my head is spinning trying to decide what to do my surgeon stopped doing Cartiva implantstoo many failing kinda scarytrying to wait this out and see i am having Mayo Clinic review my case in the meantime hope you continue to heel well!!!! take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.