Pain, swelling, lump

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been FWB for weeks and today when I was doing ROM, I got some really bad pain in my ankle. I had ORIF about a month ago. My ankle is warm, red, swelling, and I know have a lump where my  incision site is. I also can not walk on it and I am back to using crutches. I called the on call doctor and was told to ice it and call the office in the morning. Now I also have anxiety and I’m freaking. Does anyone have any idea what I might have done?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You are full weight bearing and your ORIF was only a month ago? Its standard to not even start weight bearing in a boot until 6 weeks or so after ORIF. It takes 6 full weeks for bone healing. I started full weight bearing at 10 weeks. I would not put any weight on it whatsoever and use the crutches only until you see the doctor and are xrayed to make sure it hasn't rebroken or something came loose. Is the lump at your incision site hard like bone or metal?

Let us know what happens when the doctor sees you.

• Posted

Hey Briann, I agree with Tricia, if you only had surgery a month ago it’s unusual to be FWB now, are you still in a cast or boot?

I was about 7 weeks before I was placed in boot to FWB and then in my own shoes about 2 weeks later.

Be careful as you don’t want to have any set back

Regards, Kenny

• Posted

Well I went to the doctor. The pain and lump is from a screw that they wanted to take out on May but are gonna take out Monday. So thank you for your help!!
  • Posted

Go to the emergency room. Where you had your procedure done. Or tell you Dr office you need to seen as a walk in. Don't wait! Feel better son

• Posted

U shouldn't have been bearing any weight and neither should I but urs sounds the same as mine and my Dr said said hardware has shifted and infection has set in and put me on antibotics took me out of my boot cuz it was rubbing the incision get to the Dr u don't want to mess this up anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.