Pain then numbness for 5 weeks? Any ideas please!?

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 12 weeks ago I started with pain just below my ribs. I eventually decided to go to GP but he couldn't diagnose it so blood tests were booked. 3 weeks later when I went for bloods the pain had almost gone but had them done anyway. A week or so later a numb feeling started where the pain was, like I'd been anaesthetised. This then spread from halfway round my front to halfway round my back and into my thigh. Went back to gp and had more bloods. All bloods are clear. The numbness is now down to my knee, with occasional burning and terrible itching at times. Gp has referred to neurologist and ordered mri on brain and spine. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas while I wait for appts to come through. Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen, 

Please can you give more information about your symptoms, age and any previous surgeries or medical background? 

From what you have stated so far the sensory nerves are whats causing your symptoms. This could be related to the spinal cord or the brain and hence why your GP has ordred a brain and pain MRI and referred you to the neurologist. But the symtoms you describe sound like its most likely related to spinal cord than the brain. For example any compression on the spinal cord or its nerve roots can cause these symptoms (paraesthaesia from what you have described so far).

I would try to keep calm as possible as you just never know until you get the results and it could just be related to posture etc. 

Keep us informed, Helen.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I'm 42 and the only surgery I've had is 2 c sections 12 and 9 years ago. The gp did all sorts of tests on me last time, checking my vision, reactions, strength etc. He did say my left leg was weaker than the right but I guess this is to be expected as that is the side I'm numb on. My numbness is there all of the time, doesn't come and go.

How one do you think I can expect to wait for neurology and mri appointments?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Helen,

My symptoms are not quite the same and I have a direct cause (i think!) but, the waiting for appointments etc is hard. I had another MRI just over a week ago and am awaiting the results. I have reduced sensation in my midrift, lost my ticklish sensation here, one foot goes freezing and a bowel issue. I had a fracture at the L2 vertebrate that healed but, I still have these symptoms 3 and a half years later. 

The doctor you are under is going through the correct proceedures just the time scale can seem ages away. If you haven't been for this type of scan before, I recommend you take someone with you, to be there to go for a coffee with etc afterwards. 

Also, sometimes there doesn't seem to be a root cause for things like a trapped nerve etc, maybe it can be something tiny we don't notice at the time. It doesn't mean the symptoms are less distressing !

Hope this helps

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how long it should take for mri appt to come?

Hope you get the results from yours that you want, I'm starting to believe mine is a trapped nerve now having scared myself into thinking it was a whole range of things through too much Internet research!

Helen

• Posted

Got the appointment for the mri - Friday 13th, what a day to have it!!
    • Posted

Hi Helen,

Glad the appointment is relatively soon for you. Hopefully this will settle what Is causing this for you. Let us know how it goes, I'm still waiting on results yet.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley

It's the waiting that makes it all harder isn't it. Hope you get some results soon, is it about 2 weeks now since your scan?

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I guess it is coming up to two weeks, yes. Waiting is often the hard bit. Have you had an MRI before? or anything like that?

I was given an appointment to see a rheumatologist out of the blue for next thursday. It was bizarre and I explained that as it was miles away it was a bit hard to get there at such short notice -the result, I now have to wait until september! Its not by the NHS so I'm not too worried about it really. 

Hope your weekend goes well and you can enjoy this sunshine.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley

No I've not had an mri before, the only scans I've had are ultrasound scans!

My 'urgent' referral to neurologist appointment came today for the 9th August.

Hope you're having a good weekend in the sunshine.

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Mmm, urgent is obviously different when it comes to medical appointments!

Have had a good day but, quite tired out now. Had sunshine and breeze which was lovely then light rain. Supposed to be sunny all day tomorrow here so hope to get out a little.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Helen,

How did It go? Hope things went ok and you get the results soon.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley

It's wasn't a pleasant experience! Was about 45 mins and made me feel sick! Hoping for some results next week but who knows!!

Have you had your results?

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

No, they aren't nice but, least It's over! I've not got results yet, I have appointment with GP on 2nd of June to discuss things and hopefully will Find out then, if not sooner. When do you get your results?

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

I've bravely made an appt for next weds - brave because I very much doubt my results will be back even though the hospital said 7-10 days. Hope you get some answers soon- keep me posted!

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Will do and you too. Are the symptoms any better for you?

B

• Posted

They are the same really which makes me think it may be a trapped nerve or something as it's not going away?

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.