Pain to left side of belly button.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there I hope I have posted this in the right place. For just over a week now I have had this pain about an inch to the left side of my belly button. I first noticed it at work and do have a fairly manual job. It was quite uncomfortable but bearable. For the last week tho I keep noticing it. When I am sat or just pottering about I can't really feel anything, but if I lean forward or push downwards with my hand on my stomach it can be quite a sharp pain. I have two children and picking them up etc can be quite uncomfortable. I am not overweight and don't smoke or drink. I do suffer with depression and can become quite anxious at times which made me wonder if it was related but this feels different to the general stuff I usually get. I have been to the dr who has restarted anti depressants and said we will keep an eye on the pain. There is nothing really obvious there lump wise and I did wonder if it could be a small hernia but there's no obvious lump.

Thank you for any suggestions

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it could, did ur doc do a physical examination (PE)?? It does sound muscle related?? If it not subsided within 10days from the start go back to ur GP. If you've not had a PE go back also or dare I even say this go to AE for a PE. It very common now for GPs not to conduct a PE even more so in the older generation of GPs.
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks for replying. Yes he did do a check and I'm presuming there was nothing there as he just said we will keep an eye on it. It doesn't hurt pressing from there tho. Hey oh got to go back in a week anyway so will mention it again. I'm sure when 2nd baby was born midwife thought there was a gap in the muscles but never mentioned it again, no idea if it's related tho.

• Posted

It could be a hernia but assuming you were fully checked for a hernia and given the all clear there are a few other possibilities. Perhaps an musculoskeletal ultrasound scan could help eliminate the hernia issue if there is still some uncertainty. The reality is that abdominal pain can be a variety of issues so if the symptoms persist I would recommend getting another checkup. For exampled some appendix pain is initially felt on the left side. Plus there are many bowel issues including irritable bowel syndrome that could be worth exploring. Hope that helps
  • Posted

hi

i have that same pain but it started under my belly button and is now sitting just the the left of it. and is damn sore. what was the result on yours Chezziejo?

• Posted

Hi Tanya

To be honest I was never 100% sure what it was. I do know tho that I have currently got a three month old little girl snuggled up to me at mo and around the time I got the pain I would have been in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Don't know if it was related or not. Bet that that's not overly helpful is it 😄

• Posted

I had no idea I was pregnant either and certainly not planned 😄
  • Posted

Hi, did your problem get diagnosed in the end? Im having similar symptoms....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.