Pain under left rib cage?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, does anybody else have this dreadful pain at the bottom of their left rib cage? It seems to be coming in waves and has been going on for about 8 hours today. Had it a week or so ago, but it went off after an hour. This time it just isnt going anywhere and not easing at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what it can be?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It does sound like gall bladder, although I think that pain is on the right back side of the ribs. Are you sure its not the kidney area...could be a stone. I ahd that and it was horrific pain. Had to go to hospital for pain relief...passed the stone in there.
    • Posted

I id wonder about that too, I will see how things go now with the meds I have been given, thank you x
  • Posted

Thank you all for advice. The pain got a lot worse so I went to a and e. My blood pressure was high, temp was high and pulse very high. Bloods showed infection, but doc said carry on with antibiotics and also gave me diazepam as he thinks its muscular. He saif rheumy may offer better advice tomorrow and gave me pain relief iv, so I am home now and a little more comfortable. Thank you all x
  • Posted

hope you rest well shazzy....you have really been going through something terrible, and I pray they will SOON DIAGNOSE what it really is!!  Prayers are with you my dear!!

• Posted

I WAS AT MY DRS. OFFICE TODAY AND JUST KINDA MENTIONED YOU HAD THIS PAIN UNDER YOUR LEFT RIB CAGE, AND HE SAID,  "OH, THEN SHE PROBABLY HAS SOME DISORDER WITH THE "SPLEEN"

HAS ANY OF YOUR DOCTORS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT MIGHT COULD BE YOUR SPLEEN???

• Posted

That was what I thought it was, but doc in a and e said no, as it would have to be from some trauma! But when I looked up causes of enlarged spleen there are loads, including RA and leukemia! Which I was very concerned about as it us in my family and has been for generations and I had a cancer marker last year, but I will go along with it and just mention to rheumy tomorrow. My appt is 9.00 so I shoukd really try to sleep. Thank you so much for your help x
    • Posted

YES , REST SHAZZ.........YOU NEED IT, WE CAN TALK TOMORROW...HAVE A PEACEFUL REST TONIGHT....GOD BLESS YOU!
  • Posted

Hi Shazz just to let you know that the gall bladder is behing the liver on the right hand side,so you can rule that out.Best of luck hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Te rheumatology doc thinks its my spleen and is arranging a scan so hopefully will know soon, thank you x
  • Edited

hi i would love to know what was the out come of your pain as i have exactly the same pain it started over a month ago and the doctor keeps saying its muscle pain but now the pain it there all day and i cant even sit ad it really hurts its a wave like pain in my lower left hand side of ribs

• Posted

I have had 2 bouts of this in the last few months. Both times the pain was excruciating and I ended up in hospital. Excruciating pain lasted about 20 mins, then settled down a little for another few hours. I felt unwell for about four weeks, but the middle of the rib cage (not where it joins the spine) was tender to touch for weeks. My heart and lungs tested out ok, and no diagnosis was made. I recently went thru it all again.

• Posted

I get those pains particularly if I bend over. I have put it down to still having shingles in my body. The pain is excrutiating but I can breathe and walk it off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.