Pain under left ribcage... Supposedly gallstones

Posted , 6 users are following.

I hope someone can help.

I have been having burning/gnawing pains under my left rib cage that spreads into my shoulder blades both left and right for over 12 weeks now. I can't eat fatty foods anything like cheese, milk, chocolate, fried foods etc the list goes on...

The last 3 weeks I've been frequently urinating and stools are pale and loose. But bilirubin levels in blood are normal

The pain can be excruciating I'm only 20 and have really good health except some chronic sinusitis that has eased over the last year.

Doctors have been through telling me I have ibs, gastris, ulcer, trapped nerve and now gallstones.

I am waiting for a scan which is next week, does anyone have any suggests what this could be?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi it sounds like gallstones to me as I had the same problems before they found the stones and then removed the gallbladder. Stay away from fatty food I followed a mediteranian diet that helped alot and I went gluten free and wheat free and I stopped red meat as the body have to work twice as hard to digest it. Hope it helps.
    • Posted

Thank you, did you suffer from any indigestion or acid during the time of gallstones as I find this often occurs
    • Posted

I had it all the time and had to take omoprazol 40-80mg daily. I would suggest looking at alternative options as to reduce stones. I had mine removed 7 years ago and it was great no more pain. But now I have ended up with SOOD. Look it up or also known as SOD. Sphincter oidi disfunction and nothing can heal it or change it. They don't explain to you how important it is to have your gallbladder. It does have a crucial function in the body. Don't just let them rip it out.

• Posted

Hi thankyou and I'm on ranitidine daily, and fingers crossed it doesn't come to having the gallbladder removed.

I have been reading about a new technology to zap and break up the stones

• Posted

Yuk - sounds familiar to me too.  Pale poop - if they are putty or grey coloured it is usually a sign of stones.  I didn't have that until my gallbladder had been blocked and I had jaundice.  The doc told me to stop eating food with fat - go to zero fat or very low fat food (amazing how difficult that is at first when you read every label for healthy food because even brown rice is higher in fat).  After doing that I had much more relief from the symptoms until I had the operation a couple of weeks after.  I had also stopped eating gluten because initially I wondered if I might have inherited my dad's coeliac condition.  Previously a different doctor said hiatus hernia (tablets did nothing) then another doctor said probably double hiatus hernia, but only then put me in for tests.  Finally only when I went yellow did they spring into action and send me for a scan - which none of them had even thought about before.  Gallstones show up very well in a scan so I hope you get some good news after that.  

Try not to eat too spicy food either and drink water, chew everything finely (you eventually eat less that way too - which helps you in the long run both with weight and digestion). I also switched to rice noodles instead of pasta - much lower in fat.

• Posted

Sorry that you're suffering with this.  If you haven't already seen one get referred to a gastroenterologist, who can properly diagnose and treat you. An ultrasoud may not reveal if you have gallstones, especially if you have very small stones and sludge.  So, you might need a CT scan, and also a test to measure how much bile your gallbladder releases into you small intestine during digestion.  It's called a HIDA scan.  

A diseased gallbladder needs to come out.  Leaving it in the body can lead to all kinds of problems, including cancer.  

If your stools are surrouded by yellow fluid, the yellow fluid is bile, and it's an indication that your gallbladder can no longer properly measure and release it.  It may also be an indication that your body is no longer able to absorb the bile released during your digestion.  Lots of people who can no longer absorb their bile get diagnosed with IBS-D.  IBS-D is basically a catch-all diagnosis for lots of conditions.

Best of luck and let me know how you do!

• Posted

I've had many similar symptoms and I have known gallstones and scarring of the gallbladder. The typical gallbladder attack is usually on the right upper abdomen - mine were centre and all along ribs but docs said pain can be referred. The I got left under rib pain as well and I was dx with hiatus hernia, which people say can be due to the hernia or it can be pancreas, intestinal, rib pain, etc. Your scan should be able to see if anything up with the gallbladder etc. Many digestive tract ailments have very siilar symptoms and it is often difficult to differentiate which is causuing which symtpom or pain.

• Posted

Soooo..... Apparently no gallstones but still pain under both left and right side, indigestion vs acid reflux

Where do I go from here?????

• Posted

What has the doc suggested?

​Sinus problems can be a sign of reflux, I have them too, but it was put down to a nasal fracture.

Presume you have had endoscopy? If so, did they see any stomach issues?

​Have you tested for H Pylori, as this was the start of my digestive issues?

​The other test they may do is a Hidascan for gallbladder function testing where there are no stones apparent.

Best of luck, these ailments are hard to pin down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.