Pain under ribs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know this has been asked before and other people have complained about this. I just need reassurance as I will not google. A while back I was having some gall bladder pain which they said that I did have stones. Occasionally I would have pain on the left side too. Recently I have been experiencing this pain again, but milder. I'm just wondering who else has this and have you found anything that helps? What do you think causes it? Sometimes I think it's just my gb with referred pain to the left. Other times maybe bc I'm tired and slouching or maybe gas? Any thoughts? Help! Hugs for all of you ladies

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

My left side pain is definitely gas and/or constipation. It is right under my left breast beneath the ribcage.  I find it happens when I eat something I should not. Especially when I eat a lot of something I should not. (Dairy, gluten, etc.) 

I agree, with all the other peri symptoms, it is easy to get scared and turn to Dr. Google. So proud of you that you did not!

For me, drinking lots of ice cold water helps move things along. The more ice the better for me. It puts the gas into solution and/or moves the offending food out. biggrin

• Edited

I've gone to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. They see where I'm grabbing or touching and say gas...

Sometimes it feels like there's a rubber band around my ribs, can't stand having my bra on!! Lol

Definitely come here to ask your questionswink

• Edited

Hi 2chr, so this pain could be one of two things, acid build-up or gas. Most likely it is acid build-up. I was given a proton inhibitor which I refused to take because in time it would get only worse making me a long time user. So I did some research, and started juicing 1/2 cabbage with 3 stalks of celery & half a green apple, which after 2-3 times of doing it, it cured me but I ate fresh cabbage coleslaw that you can buy in the store to prepare it yourself, and I would say that about almost immediately, I was feeling better but I kept doing it 2-3 times a week, but eating cabbage every day for approximately 2 weeks. I have not had an attack since this was over 2 years ago. So I would it worked. Cabbage is cure all of any stomach issues, be it acid reflux, gerd, or gas. Hope this helps. xo

• Posted

Was the pain located near the bottom of your rib cage...kind of in line with the middle of my breast?
    • Posted

Yes, it was my doctor say it was acid indigestion. I would also get it on my left side too. But not as far down.
  • Edited

It may be where your large intestine is cornered just under your left rib and gas is caught there. I get this now and have had for six months it comes and goes but seems to be connected to gas I am 8 years into menopause try not to worry
    • Edited

Thank you. I am getting a little better about not worrying, but still hard sometimes. This board really helps a lot. I wonder sometimes if when I am sitting with bad posture while watching tv etc if that does make it worse. And just generally not exercising like I should
  • Edited

I had to start using prilosec. I also lifted the head of my bed up. It helps a lot!
  • Edited

I had my gallbladder out some years ago and I remember having discomfort around this area, also with gallbladder it gave me pain in right shoulderblade, I had gastitis too in peri and that too can cauae discomfort there (the band around your middle just under chest area!) x
    • Posted

Hi. Thank you! Yes I have the pain in the right shoulder blade as well. I feel pretty sure the pain on the right is gallbladder. And it is more frequent than the left. I assume the left side is probably gas. Both seem to come and go. It's not bad enough for me to want to have my gb removed yet.

• Edited

Stomach problems in peri are common with all the increased acid reflux and I had gastitis with it too x
    • Posted

First of all I started to lose my appetite, it was a gradual thing and then had nausea, at it's worse after eating it almost felt like the stomach was contracting or something like it. i had sort of heartburn pain and general discomfort in chest area. I asked for an endoscopy to confirm it. It took quite some weeks to clear x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.