Pain underneath the left lower rib cage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have an old pain underneath my lower ribcage. Two years it was very painful. I went for a scope but doctors did not find anything serious. They said I had a symptom of H-pylori infection. After a couple of months, it went away and later on I had it on and off for a brief period. It was very mild though.

For a few days, my pain is back just like the way it started two years ago. It seems like sometimes it is a bit better if I eat something warm and hot. It is becoming worrisome. 

What should I do now? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Were you not treated for h pylori if it was found on your endoscopy?  For this infection you would be given a triple course of antibiotics.  If this was not done, and you have h pylori, the bug may still be there.  I would go back and get a stool sample tested to see if you still have it.  If you were given treatment, and you are no better, this could be because of antibiotic resistance or the effect of strong medication and h pylori itself on your stomach.

Other possibilities could be gastritis which can result from h pylori, or costochondritis which is rib cage pain.  I have had this a few years ago and it went away but now I am having another bout of it.  It can clear up and come back.

• Posted

They said I had symptoms. When they prescribed the medications I was not able to complete it. Those medications were extremely strong and I end up getting a very bitter taste and other symptoms from the medication. Finally, the doctor said since it was just a symptom It was okay not to finish the medication. 

Surprisingly I got it again and pain is very much the same as before. I hope it goes away. 

I took one dose of Prevacid-Fastab that my doctor prescribed back in July for on and off gastric problem. 

I don't know if I should continue it for a week and see how it helps me or I should go back to him now. 

• Posted

I would see your doctor in case your symptoms are h pylori again.  Your doctor may be able to give you a different antibiotic or suggest something to dampen down side effects. 
    • Posted

He thinks it is a muscle pain. However, he ordered an ultrasound for the abdomen. I honestly don't know if ultrasound will show anything. My pain is worse in the morning and later in the afternoon. It seems like the pain is worse on an empty stomach. I am using hot water bag on my own. I hope it is okay. 

• Posted

Muscle strains can take up to eight weeks to heal if it is that. It also could be irritation from the strong antibiotics or gastritis.  Costochrondritis could also be a possibility because it affects the rib cage.  It could also be h pylori again.
    • Posted

He gave me a  new medication - Dexitant, 60 mg. I took one this morning. Hopefully, this one will work better if my issue related to gastritis. I think hot water bag is working for me too. Last night pain was not so bad. I also changed my diet. Staying away from fish and meat and even from spices. 
    • Posted

Have you found that fish,meat and  spices affect you?  The best way of finding trigger foods is by a food/symptom diary.   Simply eat normally and only avoid a food if it affects you.
    • Posted

I am not sure about meat as I rarely eat meat.  Frozen fish might be causing the issue. I am not certain about anything and this is why I am a bit concern about my symptoms. I will just watch everything more closely and then see the results.  
  • Posted

Let your doctor know that you have the pain again.  I had the same symptoms and had an endoscopy. The diagnosis was gastritis which is an inflammation of the stomach.

Maybe your diet  is causing some of your issues. I stayed away from acidic foods and ate mainly alkaline foods which helped a great deal. You can find a list of acidic and alkaline foods online if you Google it.

Meat is highly acidic Especially beef, also cheese, chocolate, etc

Alkaline foods include most vegetables and fruits, raisins , lemon juice etc 

I also take a prescription antacid in the morning. 

follow up with your doctor to get some direction for this and the right diagnosis so you feel better. 🌸🌸🌸

• Posted

Yes, I doubt my pain has come back due to my diet change. It started bothering right after I ate my dinner a few days ago. Usually, I am very strict about my diet. Anyway, I will watch it very seriously now. I will definitely google to find out the alkaline food list. 

Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.