Pain upper abdomen

Posted , 5 users are following.

I seem to get the strangest symptoms that I can never find with a Google search.  I get this pain irregularly, can be after a few days, or a few weeks, but is always the same.

I get a pain all the way accross the upper abdomen, just under the rib cage.  It feels like I have a very thin piece of red hot wire being pulled into that area of my abdomen.  after a few seconds it spreads to my face, though not as intense in that area.  Sometimes it makes me retch, and other times it doesn't.  It really is very painful but usually goes after a couple of minutes.

I'm not very good at describing pain, so I hope you can follow what I described.  Just wondering if anyone else has these types of symptoms, as I am quite worried about it.  Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dont do googling until you know the problem exactly. have you visited any Dr. for this problem ? 

pain spreads in face could be anxiety. do you have any other symptoms like cough, throat infection, improper bowels etc ?

• Posted

I do have bowel problems in that I am mainly constipated, I have a motion around every 3 days, but I take Fybogel and Lactoluse for that, no cough or throat infection.
    • Posted

Does the pain come on after eating or when your are stressed?  Perhaps try a food/symptom diary to see if you have a problem food.  Does the pain move about your stomach or stay in one place?  How long have you had these symptoms?  Have you seen a doctor?
    • Posted

The pain can come on at any time really, and the pain is constant in my upperabdomen.  I saw a Doctor(well a Nurse Practioner to be precise), and she gave me something called Konalticlan to take for two weeks.  That didn't really help, now I am getting the pain more regular, and it is lasting longer.  Today for instance, it lasted for about 15 minutes, and the went away after I belched.  My wife said it could be Trapped Wind, but surely Trapped Wind cant cause the amount of pain I get in my abdomen.  On a scale of 1-10, I would say it was between 7-8.  I have to admit that what does clear the pain away ia a belch, but I just can't believe that is all down to trapped wind.

• Posted

Trapped wind can be very painful.  My brother had it as a baby and used to scream for hours.  Massaging his back helped to release it and he felt better.  My mum has dementia and gets it after eating.  She too will scream for hours  and gets relief with a belch after a back massage.  I had stomach pain due to trapped wind from my backside tonight.  I passed very loud wind and the pain got better.  I have IBS and this is an Irritable Bowel symptom.

If passing gas relieves the pain, then trapped wind is one of your symptoms.  However, to get a firm diagnosis, see a doctor rather than a nurse. Nurses can advise you but they can't diagnose. 

If you are getting constipation,diarrhoea/loose stools or a mixture of both, and your pain gets better after a bowel movement, it may be IBS. .  Still, monitor what you are eating to pinpoint any food problems. Gassy foods include broccoli, spinach and Brussels Sprouts.  Avoid fizzy drinks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.