pain upper right quadrant after gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im so glad Im not alone in experiencing this pain in my upper right quadrant. I started having "tummy aches" everyday but it wasnt severe until one night i was in so much pain i couldnt sleep. Next morning i took some pepto and tylenol that didnt help at all! I also noticed a couple of days before that i would belch frequently and it smelled horrible! A few days later, after dealing with severe pain that didnt go away, i got scared and walked to the hospital. I dont even remember this. I had to have emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder However i had to have the of fashioned procedure done because of abscesses on my gallbladder along with stones, sludge, and inflammation, even gangrene. It took me months to heal from the 8inch incision across my abdomen. After surgery i had a pain in my upper right abdomen. It started not too painful but gradually got worse and worse. Now the pain is excruciating, my abdomen is bulging, and Im out of work cause Im in so much pain. No answers yet as to why in experiencing all this pain. My first ct scan showed a pocket of fluid where my gallbladder was. Ive been to the ER several times since. They wont even touch me! They claim ct scan is alot of radiation and they dont want to give me another one cause the radiation can cause cancer later in life, to just call my surgeon. I do call his office but they dont take my insurance so they wont give me an appointment, even when i cried and begged.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie I'm so sorry your suffering so much. When did you have the operation? I know a few people that had that pain but it went away in time. I had mine removed 14 weeks ago and it's been hell. Diarrhea for 6-8 weeks and then horrendous nausea and vomiting ever since. Am actually back in hospital since last week as I'm really weak with it too. All I can tell you is that from what I Have read people can suffer for up to a year after the operation as it can take that long to settle down. I don't care what anyone says gallbladder removal is a big operation and a lot of people take a long time to adjust Afterwards. Will be thinking of you and hoping you get relief soon. Take care of yourself and remember your not alone. There's a lot of us here suffering too. X
    • Posted

Thank you, acejohnston. My surgery was november 10th. I was told in the ER that since my gallbladder was in such bad shape Im more at risk of having complications. I blew this off for a long time cause i thought i was just recovering. Its gradually gotten worse. I do know how you feel about the nausea and diarrhea. I still have that from time to time. Ill cramp so bad from the diarrhea that i get the cold sweats and chills. Im so tired of being in pain! I hope you feel better soon! Thanks again for your well wishes. Take care of yourself
    • Posted

Thank you Carrie. My surgery was December 9th. If you are having a lot of diarrhea try caltrate calcium tablets 600 with vitamin d. They work by soaking up the bile and have really helped me and others too. I hope your pain goes soon. I have heard of so many getting that Pain after the operation. Have they checked there's no stones lodged anywhere? X
  • Posted

hi carrie! sorry your having so much pain and discomfort. hope you get better soon.  keep us informed as to how things are going with you.  Val.
  • Posted

hi carrie!  Sorry to hear of the trouble and discomfort you've been having!  Hope you get well soon.  please keep us informed as to how things are going with you, and remember, your not alone, and there's always someone here to help!  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Carrie! I am going through the same thing after my cholecystectomy. It was removed three weeks ago. At the end of the first week I was feeling ok. Then the pain began gradually and now is so severe along with fever. My surgeon had me have an ultrasound which showed a pocket of fluid where the gallbladder used to be. He said it is about egg shaped. He thinks this fluid has gotten infe ted and has me on Vipro for ten days. I also just had another HIDA scan to see if there is a bile leakage. What happened with you and did your pain resolve. Thanks so much

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.