Pain using stairs 6 months post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

On 2nd February  I had a TKR and patella resurfacing. The TKR was a complete success and I can walk without pain and within 10 days had a 110 degree bend. The physio didn't want to see me any more. The Consultant was thrilled by my progress at my 12 week check up as I strolled into his office without a limp. However, stairs are a completely different story and by the end of the day it is agony. I often have to crawl up them. Surprisingly, going down isn't quite as painful. I can feel my patella catching and clicking  when I bend the knee, as if it's not gliding properly. Please, does anyone else suffer with this pain using stairs and will it improve with time? Or, do I need to return to see the physio or Consultant for some strengthening exercises? Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would get it checked. I am 5 months post op. Can have bit of pain going down when been very active but not like you are describing.
    • Posted

Everyone says it hurts the most going down  steps. My knee is for some strange reason, painful when I go up!! I have osteo in my hips, so maybe that has something to do with it. 
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear about the pain you're suffering. I am like yourself 5 months post op.

I would advise either seeing your GP or Consultant for further advice. My knee occasionally gives way as I go downstairs, which is unnerving. I wish you well, let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Yes, will do. I've been putting it off, being fed up with hospitals in the hope it will get better on its own!

• Posted

Sounds like patellar maltracking. See ur PT person. They can tape it. Should help...
  • Posted

Do you have stairs in your home?

If so - begin strengthening for them by doing a step up with one leg first and step down with the same leg.  Then the same with your other leg. 

Another one - tap the step with one leg and down, same with the other leg.

I have a 3 storey house so my stair walking is way ahead of others who don't have steps.  It's great exercise for you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.