Pain vs Stiffness

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had LTHR 18 months ago.   Great recovery immediately after. For some time now I’ve been dealing with episodes of pain and/or stiffness.   The stiffness I can usually walk off. Some days my thigh (like the muscle area in the front) hurts really bad. Sometimes the pain seems like it’s in the area where the new parts are. If you can imagine - if feels like something make be sticking me or poking me - hitting a nerve or muscle or something. Hard to explain but it’s pain rather than just stiffness or aches.   Had X-ray at the year mark - all was well. I’m wondering if there are other ways to look at the hip better to make sure all is properly in place. Insight?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I’m 7 weeks out of right hip replacement and experiencing similar pain. At first, no pain but after about 5 weeks, started having pain in thigh. Tried increasing exercises as well as more rest but neither seems to help. It’s mostly when having to lift leg as in stairs. WS navigating stairs well until 2 weeks ago. X-ray looked good at 6 week checkup. Curious to hear others thoughts. 
  • Posted

Hello Etta -

I had RTHR 18 months ago.  I've never been without pain since.   I have the thigh pain as well.  I have achy thigh pain more than the intense pain - like what is in my joint.  

I wish I could offer some insight for you.  All i have been told is Xray on THR.   Just want you to know you are not alone!

If you find out anything that can view better, please do tell/share.  Thank you and God Bless.

Deana

• Posted

Etta, I totally understand that pain.  That pain developed after I began getting more active and trying to exercise. I had x-rays and a MRI - all was ok.  My physical therapist and surgeon both felt it was an inflamed  Posas muscle.

If I do too much it feels like someone is stabbing me in the groin. I rest and use some heat on it. It's been a problem off and on for several months.

• Posted

Hi Etta:  My surgery was last September.  I have had thigh pain ever since.  It feels like someone kicked me as hard as they could in my quads.  I understand it might be nerve damage from the surgery (I had anterior approach).  I understand as well it will resolve, and I believe it, as the pain as changed.  My thigh also used to tingle, like it was asleep.  That discomfort has now moved down to a band right above my knee.  In addition I now have minor groin pain and I definitely limp.  I'm reminded of the surgery it seems with every step I take.  Don't mean to be Debby Downer, just being honest.  It will get better if it's anything like what I've been living with since surgery.  I'm grateful to be walking without aid.  Be well.  Janet

• Posted

Janet, my surgery was last August and I, too, have the thigh muscle pain. I think you are like me in that you would like to be able to walk without the constant reminder that you had hip replacement surgery! I have just had my other hip done and I will say that has completely taken away any focus on the original hip! Let hope that we both continue to heal.
    • Posted

Hi Janet If you are limping it might be that you have different leg lengths now. I had surgery in October and the doctor made my operated leg over 15 mm longer which caused a major limp and problems. now have heel lifters which help a bit but am now waiting for a built up shoe to make both legs the same length. Go to a podiatrist who can adjust your shoes to help with the limp. Hope you can get help Carolyn

• Posted

Thanks all.  Correction - it’s my right hip that had replacement. Anyway, the pain comes and goes. I have some good days and I have some days where I wonder if I should have had the surgery. I should have  - presurgery pain was awful. This is too. It’s just so random. Good days and bad days, even hour or moment to moment.   I often have to be very conscious of my steps to try to reduce or eliminate pain.  A few weeks ago, I was limping from the pain. That was annoying. I’ll take over the counter meds here and there but don’t want to have to take them forever.   That was one point of the replacement - to get rid of all the heavy duty pain meds and pain!!    I may inquire about an MRI.   It’s all frustrating especially since my left hip has been aching more often. I fear needing to have it replaced and then having this pain in both legs. 
  • Posted

Hi Etta

I had RTHR last July. I was doing very well until This last February.  I was making my bed and I felt some weird. Like a sensation not really pain. But I felt it go all around my hip joint.  I was really worried so I rested for most of the day.  Then went grocery shopping later that day.  It felt good walking. BUT then the next morning I had terrible pain. Couldn’t stand, sit or walk. Couldn’t put weight on it at all. My surgeon thinks the fascia didn’t heal. After my surgery.  He put a shot in my hip which helped the night time pain a lot. The night pain was terrible.  But since then I can’t walk very far without pain and my hip giving out.  Yes pain is off and on but mostly with more activity it gets worse.  I am now trying some PT for a couple of weeks. To see if that helps if not then I will have to have surgery to repair the fascia.  

I hope this helps. I know how frustrated you are. I am too but if I can avoid surgery I will. But I don’t have too high of hopes on it.

Hope you get some relief. 

Lori

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.