Pain when and after walking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I broke my ankle in Feb of 2020 had surgery 2 weeks later. I was release on May 15, 2020 to stop wearing my aircraft boot. I walk really slow with my shoes on and I'm using one crutch. Afterward I swell up and I have pain. I have 6 screws and a plate. I do know that when it rains, your ankle will hurt. I just want to know do anyone know when will I start walking normally without a limp or pain. I just want to get my walking back normal even if I walk with a slight limp. I just landed a job working for the Federal bureau of prisons and my background will take a few weeks. they say I may start June 30 or before then do anyone have an idea when will I be walking normally. I am trying to stop walking with the one crutch. while walking in the boot I wasn't using no crutch now I only need one please and Thank you if anyone could help this is very annoying even tho I just got out the boot one day ago. I could drive just fine, but it's the walking that's bothering me. Thank you all and God bless!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

i can only give you my own experience. your break sounds similar to mine except l also had a rod put in, my break was last september. i started wearing my airboot late december by end of january l could weight bear without it. last x ray in early april showed the fracture had healed. i asked the doctor why l was still in discomfort, l have pain and swelling and at that time l still walked with a crutch. he said it takes up to 18 months to fully recover. now l can walk without my crutch at all some days are harder than others l have very little pain just discomfort with the swelling, l have difficulty going down stairs and uneven ground is a problem but l walk 5 km every day to strengthen my ankle. i would go to a gym but unfortunately due to COVID they are all closed. thats what l would suggest the people there are experts and can tell you which exercise is best for you. things will definetly improve with exercise . also ive heard if you still have discomfort chances are you can have plates and screws removed after a while.

hope this helps good luck with your new job x

• Posted

Have you had physiotherapy?

Try walking in a heated pool, this will help you be able to build up the muscles.

If you don't have, get some tubigrip and cut to size. super cheap and good for keeping swelling down. I think I wore size D on my ankle when it was still very swollen and then moved to C later on.

While I was off crutches pretty quickly after returning to weight bearing, the swelling, slow walking and pain lasted a long time after - probably at least 6 months.

Ligaments take 2 to 3 times the length of time to heal than bones. I'm at 13mths post now, I think I've been good since Jan, so the last 4mths.. some things still cause it to twinge and ache.

• Edited

You wont be back to walking without a limp until 1 year after your operation that's a fact of life. Keep trying to walk normally and you will notice big improvements after 6 months.

Good luck Mr Ankle l

• Posted

I am six months post Orif. Broke and dislocated my right ankle. Two plates and twelve screws. Physical therapy helped me so much to learn to walk properly again. Keep walking as normal as possible every day. The more I walked, the less pain I began to feel. My foot does still bother me if I stand for long periods of time. Six hours is the most I can stand and walk at the moment. I'm sure that will get easier as time goes by. Its all about getting to that one year mark. It's a very long process, be patient.

• Edited

My dates are pretty similar, broke my fibula on 2/6 and had surgery for a plate and 7 screws on 2/21 . What did you break?

To give you some perspective, I had my cast taken off at 4.5 weeks but no weight bearing till 6 weeks.

I was told to go partial weight for 2 weeks and transition to full weight by 8 weeks. These guidelines weren't far off but early progress was frustrating. I started PT around 8 weeks and have been going 2x per week for last 4 weeks. When I got there at 8 weeks I was still bringing my crutches but by 9.5 weeks I was walking in boot and putting my shoe on for PT.

At 10 weeks I was in my shoe but still uncomfortable down stairs and swelling at the end of the day. By 10 weeks I started riding my bicycle around the neighborhood because it felt better than walking.At 11 weeks I could walk pretty well and started light trail riding on MTB. At 12 weeks (Friday) , I rode 11 miles of trail (carefully). I can do yardwork with some discomfort. Walking looks natural, I doubt anyone would be able to tell I had surgery.

PT is very boring but I think it helped a lot and I will continue to go 1x a week for a while.

At this point I can do everything except run. I do lift my heal out of my shoe during the day as i feel my shoe getting tight. Hopefully you have access to PT and you're able to start your job. I feel like progress happens quickly once your healing really gets going. Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi. I broke my Tibia and had surgery October 31,2019. Im now about 7 months post surgery and I still walk with a limp. Some days more than others. My pain is tolerable but discouraging at times. I work out 5 times a week which helps alot. I have swelling as well but I do get frustrated that I'm not walking regular but my doctor said that it will take at least 18 months to fully recover. Good Luck and Happy Healing!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.