Pain when I pee (NOT UTI!) Help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have had problems in my urinary tract since the age of 15 and I'm 21 now. I have a burning pain when I pee due to a past infection which lead to a special cell type growth in the urinary tract. In my journal online, the Urologist wrote that I have squamous metaplasia in the urothelium. 

Due to my health anxiety I've done research online if metaplasia could lead to cancer. I read that metaplasia could lead to dysplasia, but I don't know whether this is correct information. 

I was later sent to a hospital where they went in again with a cystoscope to see what problems I had in my urinary tract, the Urologist told me they will use a laser to remove the cell growth and they would do the operation with my consent and I said yes. They also would do a biopsy, 2 weeks later they told me it was nothing serious. 

My question is if this problem could possibly lead to other malign cell types like dysplasia? Do I have to live with the pain when I pee for the rest of my life? Cipro didn't give a long-term effect after 5 days of usage!

If you have read this far, thank you. I'm in desperate need to fix this problem, as a result of health anxiety I believe I have felt problems with my prostate as well because of IBS and stress I haven't visited the doctor yet to examine anything that's wrong with my prostate. So now I have to deal with two problems instead of one. 

??

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When was your previous UTI?

UTIs and Catheters can often cause squamous metaplasia. We used to think it developed into SCC - we're going off that idea.

To me this sounds like chronic prostatitis.

CP is often idiopathic, but can be traumatic. So if you're doing anything that might be damaging it (I'll spare you the details) - it might help if you stopped.

• Posted

Ben, I'm so sorry but I was misinformed. In my journal the Urologist said that I had white leukoplakia on the mucous membrane down the Seminal Colliculus on one side, the Urethra, not the Urinary Tract as I mentioned. When I first met the Urologist I saw on the display screen from the cystoscopy that the white ''leukoplakia'' looked like sperm that was stuck on the mucous membrane. But when the urologist remitted me to the hospital and I met the second urologist, he asked me if I wanted to remove the white thing that was stuck on the mucous membrane with laser, I said yes. He said that he doesn't want me to lose the ability to make children, a few months later at this point I realized that the problem was near the prostate gland! 

When he went in with the cystoscope he took a biopsy from the white liquid that was on my mucous membrane, and I think he either scraped it off or he used laser I'm not sure but the next day I was in hell lot of pain and it was pretty difficult to get some urine out. I was also bleeding when I peed, but it hurt more than 10 times the pain that I suffer now and before the procedure. 

Two weeks later I get the diagnose results from the biopsy that I had: Urethra with discrete parakeratosis without dysplasia. 

Is this bad? 

• Posted

This was also mentioned in my journal:

Anesthetic. Leg support. Bipolar instrument. After we have inserted gel into urethra we go in with the cystoscope. Looking distally about the sphincter that urethra is relatively narrow and has a whiteish mucous membrane but the mucosa is relatively easy to scrape and it loosens very easily. Then, as we move on, we see a short prostatic urethra, a relatively narrow neck in the bladder, but it's easy to get into the bladder. The bladder is empty so we fill the bladder and look around. Finding both right and left ''ostie''(I don't know what this medical term means, possibly ostium? Idk), they look normal, coming clear urine. Normal mucous membrane of the bladder, no visible stone or papillary growth. Goes back in and check again.

The whitish coating on the mucosa is only distal about the sphincter of 2 cm approximately and looks circular. We switch to px-pliers and then we can actually lift the whitish coating and send for pathologist. On the corners we take a little urethral mucosa with the help of px-pliers. Will also send this to pathologist. No major bleeding. We enter the bladder, empty it and end.

• Posted

So the urethra is the tube from the tip of your penis to the bladder.

This tube goes through the prostate on its way to the bladder. The bit of the tube going through the prostate is called the prostatic urethra.

The leukoplakia was on the wall of part of the prostatic urethra. Specifically a part called the seminal colliculus. The surgeon scraped it off.

Leukoplakia is a form of squamous metaplasia - specifically keratinizing squamous metaplasia, which does carry a risk for malignant transformation. However it has been removed now.

Your ongoing dysuria is due to all this trauma/surgery which you've had to the urethra and prostate. It will get better, as the area heals.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Ben.

As I mentioned earlier, the dysuria happened before I did any surgery or examination in the urethra. I was 15 when I started getting this pain, it all started with bleeding and I believe it could be because of hard masturbation (NOT SURE!) and I think I hurt my penis while doing it, correct me if this is not likely to happen. Could be that I went through a physical trauma while masturbating. 

As time went on the bleeding stopped, and it usually came down at the end of my urination for a few blood drops and I was in more pain back then but it became better and better for each month. Today I can still feel the irritation and it's not due to any surgery that has been done, I can guarantee you that. The small surgery that I went through didn't change the irritation I feel. I can still sense the same dysuria I had before the surgery, but it was at its worst just a small moment after the surgery and it went away in 1 week after taking antibiotics. The pain did kinda go away while taking antibiotics, but I'm asking myself why the pain doesn't completely go away after stop taking antibiotics? Do I still have metaplasia? Or what is the reason now for my pain in the prostatic urethra?

• Posted

So penile masturbation shouldn't cause a problem.

The bleeding - was it in the urine, in the sperm or did it just bleed sporadically?

Do you bleeding issues anywhere else?

Please don't think I'm judging you with the next bit - I'm just informing.

Anal masturbation or anal sex can damage the prostate and can cause chronic prostatitis / haematospermia / urethral bleeding.

• Posted

The bleeding was in the urine, at the end of the urination and perhaps blended with the urine to send out a orange stream but I can't remember that much on the colour. All I remember and saw was that it was a red blood drop falling down from the bowl of the toilet. I have no other bleeding issues, other than the fact that I had asthma as a young child and I also was able to train at the gym, play sports and do other physical lifts during the time I had this problem until now. For your other question, I'm hetero so I didn't and neither do indulge in such activites at all. 

• Posted

I want to add a note that the research was described as a link between Cystitis and Keratinizing Squamous Metaplasia, not a link between Prostatitis and Keratinizing Squamous Metaplasia. 
    • Posted

That's a case report not a study.

How did this start when you 15 - what happened?

Did you get an STD, UTI or Loose weight?

• Posted

I have no actual idea of why I had the problem at the age of 15, not long after I got the problem I went to a health center to get examined for the dysuria and the bleeding but not in any urine scan did they find anything unusual. I hesitated to get examined for the issue after a short time around the age of 16 or a few months after I first got the problem, they went in with a cystoscope under anesthesia and they didn't find anything. It's strange how 4 years later another urologist see the problem with a cystoscope, the leukoplakia on the prostatic urethra. Did it develop as time went on, as a benign tumor? Or were the first urologists not aware or didn't care? I don't believe I had UTI, STD and I don't know what you mean by losing weight, if you mean being underweight and having a very low BMI then, no, I didn't lose weight in regard to that situation.

• Posted

My overall impression is that you probably have idiopathic chronic prostatitis and that the leukoplakia is iatrogenic (following the cystoscopy).
    • Posted

So how did the bleeding start, in your own theory? Why does the pain still occur? And what do you mean that the leukoplakia is iatrogenic, did it occur as a trauma from the first cystoscopy procedure? Will new malignant cell growth occur because of the latest cystoscopy procedure? Doc told me it was just a thickening of the mucous membrane, I think he didn't want to tell me it was a benign tumor in academic terms. 

• Posted

I want to also mention that I masturbated inside my underwears in a self harm manner, because I was stupid enough to believe that masturbation in that manner would lead to a stronger ejaculation. I believe that bacteria or fungus got inside my urethra by having my undies covered in ejaculation, but I could be wrong! Please don't judge me, I was young and stupid....

• Posted

But you said you didn't ever have a UTI.

Iatrogenic = Caused by Drugs/Medical Procedures

Have you had a CT scan to look for kidney stones?

• Posted

Yes I have never had any UTI, did I even mention that I have a UTI? If so, then please cite where I wrote that. All I'm saying is that I perhaps have got a fungal infection in the beginning, but I could be wrong because not long after the pain during the urination did I go to the doctor and got examined with a urine test. The test was clear, and I wanted to get a further investigation because the pain was not gone. I went to the hospital and they did their CT scan, nothing unusual there. Supposedly found nothing, but I think they might have missed the white thickened mucous near the prostatic urethra. 

I was completely healthy at age 15, didn't take any drugs and didn't have any medical procedures close to my penis. Like I said, the pain came after a period of me masturbating. I did it perhaps 1-2 times everyday, suddenly I get blood drops after urinating one day and had painful urination. Isn't it reasonable to conclude that I hurt myself while masturbating?

If I did have a kidney stone 4 years ago at the age of 15 then it would have been much more worse now, isn't it so?

• Posted

"I believe that bacteria or fungus got inside my urethra by having my undies covered in ejaculation," - That would be a UTI.

CT takes beautiful pictures but they're not detailed enough to see something like leukoplakia.

Its possible you may have hurt yourself - yes.

• Posted

How long ago was the surgery to remove the leukoplakia?
    • Posted

There were no biopsy result in the first CT by a female Urologist/Gynecologist to conclude the result of leukoplakia. It was just in my diagnose, probably she thought it could be leukoplakia and wanted to remit me to a hospital for further examination. It was then that the doctor did the biopsy to see if it was something serious, I believe the result was discrete parakeratosis in the urethra

I did the surgery for around 11 months ago, December 2016. The female urologist did her CT on me 1 month before that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.