Pain when lying in bed!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there.   I had THR five months ago and recovered well but....... When I wake up in the morning I am in real pain.   It wears off when I get up and start moving.  It's also painful when getting into the car unless I do the very elegant legs together approach.

Anyone had the same?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan

I had my firstTHR  yrs ago and my last one Jan this year.

I found after my first one {which went OK} Whenwaking up I was in pain which gradually wore off...but thats OA for you,

What does your consultant say?

If you can get into the car like that do it.....its much better. I can do that in my husbands car but mine is a smaller car and the steering wheel gets in the way if I try to do thatbiggrin Have you ever tried one of those swivel seats for a car?

I havent bjut hve heard about them....are we talking about when you drive or are a passenger?  The other thing that was suggested was to start with {cheaper}wink try a plastic bag on the seat and that helps you to swivel. The only other thing I can think of is your Occupational Therapist....you can refer yourself there.....see if they have anything. I've got a foam cushion......doesnt really help with the swivelling but I used to drive for my work most of the day and it made things much more comfortable.

Things are different with the 2nd......I was doing an NHS exercise 4 weeks into recovery....counting the weeks until the 6 weeks was up and a bone cracked...fractured the greater trochanter bone???? up at the replacement. So I'm in pain all the time.....its 5 and a half months since the THR and 4 and a half months since the fracture...still on 2 crutches......they say it will heal itself but will take a long time!!!!! but they have decided i have osteoporosis as well now....that had nothing to do with the THR

Love

Eileen

• Posted

My mother experienced the same thing. She went to her physio and got a couple of stretches for in the morning, before getting out of bed. That did the trick and she says she is better overall when she does them. I think it just gets the blood circulating after 8 hours of being still (sleeping). Ask your physio or GP for some THR approved stretches. Worth a try.
  • Posted

Hi I have both hips as THR Has many issues we deal with for several years.

now I think UR bogy is still healing as the bone growth and tissue heals. My first one took a year before all the pain subsided. Usually at night the body is at rest and the blood flow and oxygen flow is decreased therefore inflammation occurs. Once movement get the blood flow up inflation and swelling dissipate and so does the pain.

• Posted

Hi jan I injured my back at work 3 years ago now . I also wake up early hours in agony also at the same time find it hard to take deep breaths because of the pain . I told my doc but he didn't no what it was . But ye moving helps me but not good walking the house half asleep in pain . Hope it gets better
  • Posted

Its normal to get pain when you first stand up in the mornings. I have that too because of a arthritis knee joint which is throwing the rest of me out of kilter. As for getting into your car in an elegant fashion, what more do you want? I equate my pain with that of 18 years old young men returning from Afghanistan without any limbs and my own disconfort becomes nothing to complain about.  Try thinking of them and how lucky you and I both are to have legs to stand up on when we get out of bed.  Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.