Pain when using knee scooter

Posted , 5 users are following.

i just had ankle surgery july 16th. 3 pins and a plate. i asked the surgeon when it would be ok for me to use a knee scooter. he said i could use it as soon as i wanted to.

today was the first day i felt up to trying it. it made my ankle feel really uncomfortable. a dull, throbbing pain after just one to two minutes. still feeling a little "off," even though im sitting on couch with leg elevated. hoping this gets more comfortable with time? really want to be able to use scooter.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i put a whole pillow on the knee scooter and it helped a lot! maybe that will help?

wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

When I had my first backslab plaster I told the technician i was using a knee scooter, he put loads of extra wadding on the front of my leg. it really helped. I went into full fibreglass type plaster after and he did the same again, It wasnt totally pain free but I found that having less of my leg on the scooter and more overhanging the back was the most comfortable. I used it for three months full time as I was non weight bearing and unable to use crutches. I did go in for another change of plaster when the wadding wore down to much. Hope that helps.

• Posted

I was no weight bearing for 16 weeks after my ankle surgery. I could not comfortably use the knee scooter with my knee on the pad, no matter what I tried or padded it with. Instead, I SAT on the scooter, and carefully extended my leg out to the side. It worked out very well for me and was literally a knee and ankle saver. I continued to use the scooter that way, as needed, after I was able to begin walking again.

• Posted

Check that the knee pad is that the right height, your hips should be level when you are resting knee on scooter and other foot on ground. If uneven, you need to adjust the height.

I had a lot of trouble until I moved the seat lower, then I had no pain.

Throbbing pain could be from the swelling and gravity at work while your mobilising, rather than resting your leg.

Getting back to moving around takes a long time. I was not at ease (never comfortable!) until around week 3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.