Pain with vaginal atrophy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just come off of antibiotics a few weeks ago due to having blood in my urine caused by a medication I took which was an anti-inflammatory and i shouldn't have taken because of the medication i'm on & it caused me to be very dehydrated which of course affected my bladder even though I drink a lot of water. My urine has been dipped and my doctor has said the infection has gone. However I am left now with such pain and discomfort in my bladder and I know it's because the UTI caused a flare up of my vaginal atrophy and that I really need to take more of the ovestin cream but i've always been told and read on the pamphlets that you can only take it in a block amount ie every day ,if you have had a gap of taking it twice a week. However if I stop taking it twice a week at the moment I can only imagine what the pain & increased urination will be like but I'm scared to take it even though i know it's only a very small localised amount every day, without having a gap, it's like a vicious circle & its draining me & i'm up 2/3 times going to the toilet . When my bladder is full it hurts & stings & then its ok while i'm passing urine & then when my bladders empty it starts hurting again, is that something you ladies can relate to?

This is the first time I've been able to talk about this to other people who have the same condition and it makes me feel quite tearful just writing to you all? thank you for listening & sorry if i've gone on , hope this all makes sense , i'm just feel so low & its affecting my life .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, oh my goodness where does it say you can only change to every day if you have a gap in usage. Use it every night for at least a couple of weeks, then back to two or three times a week, its so weak its only the equivalent of two or three hrt tablets a year. Don't carry on suffering, and worrying about it, use it tonight and every night if you need to. Vaginal atrophy is awful, and you obviously need oestrogen in your system. If you're still concerned, join the vaginal atrophy site on facebook, there are a lot of knowledgeable ladies on there, and you can ask for advise.

• Posted

i agree with Laura. Use it every night until you feel comfortable again and then go back to two/three times a week. Are you on Instagram? If so follow mymenopausalvagina gives fabulous advice

• Posted

Aww thankyou so much both of you, I had been told about the gap by two different GPs but I'm going to go with your advice as you suffer the same as me, and to be honest even if there is any risk, I can't take any more and the comment about the amount has put me more at ease

thanks again

PS could I just ask you both whether you get the stinging pain when your bladder is full, releif when emptying and then the pain starts again. only asking as like i said in my first post i've never talked to anyone about my condition and I will definately look at the sites you have suggested.

• Posted

Hi Caz,

Yes I used to get the pain and the relief etc just like you. Luckily my GP was clued up on the problem. I get a repeat prescription every two months of Ovestin. Sadly not many Drs are as aware and I did a lot of my own research. I've not had a flare up since 2016 but I'm aware that it can happen and try and avoid my triggers as much as I can. Are you in the UK? The menopause Dr site is really excellent.

• Posted

I have the bladder issues also. pretty much the same as what you've described. I use estrace cream for my atrophy. My gyno gave me the green light to use as much or as little as I need depending on my symptoms on any given day, anywhere from .5 gram to a full 2 grams. I use it every night around my urethra and 2x a week internally, on occasion I even use it on my outer bits a couple times a day. I also find drinking a lot of water and watching my sugar intake helps my bladder symptoms. I'm by no means a doctor but I highly doubt using it every day for a while until you get it under control will hurt anything.

Good Luck!

• Posted

I forgot to add.. when my bladder is hurting, I use a heating pad on my lower belly, for some reason the heat is soothing. not sure if its actually helping or all in my head but it works for me lol

• Posted

thanks so much, i will use it till the symtons reduce, plus i'm using natural canberry juice, and thanks for the tip about the heat pad as well as i'll try that as well

thanks

• Posted

Dear Caz,

I have two suggestions: get some cranberry juice, unsweetened if possible. But if not, then whatever you can get. Also see if you can find "azopyridine". It is sold in the US as "Azo" and it soothes the entire urinary tract. It will make your pee orange but that's ok. Also, you might try taking some D-Mannose. It is a powder form of a special sugar that binds bad bacteria in the bladder and removes it from the body. You also might try drinking water with a touch of baking soda in it. Well, that's not 2 suggestions but 4. Maybe one will help.

Take care,

biscuit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.