Pain worse following L4/5 posterior decompression/fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an L4/L5 posterior decompression and fusion with instrumentation procedure on Friday and am now home. The problem I have is that the pain I had previously - which the surgery is meant to cure - is now much worse.

I told the surgeon about this and he arranged for a swift CT scan which he told me showed that everything is fine and all the bits are where they are meant to be! I have little or no pain from the site of the operation - I am on a cocktail of drugs (paracetamol, codeine, diazepam and gabapentin) - but the original nerve pain itself is bad. All is well when I am sitting or lying down but when I stand and walk it is excruciating at first and then lessens as I move about more.

I know from reading elsewhere that this can occur, but I still find it very worrying, annoying and upsetting. I have an appointment to see the surgeon in two weeks, so let's hope things have eased off by then. I'd love to know if anyone else has had this issue and how it resolved. Many thanks in advance for your help and comments.

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh gosh Ian, so sorry.  I had 3 fusions over a 2 day period, and one of them was a lateral fusion with cages and stuff. The surgeon damaged my femoral nerve, so now I have burning aching pain in my left leg. I think your doctor may have accidentally damaged a nerve. You should go to a pain management center or a neurologist and they should be able to help. I''m getting sympathetic nerve blocks now to see if they will help. I've had very little relief, but a little bit, which means we're on the right path.  It seems like a surgeon won't admit when they have screwed up, so I think you should go see someone else.  SOrry this is happening with you.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Great advice to Ian, Linda, to go ahead on the fight against the after surgery unexpected problems.

I 've just replied to him and to all with spinal problems.

Your name, too, Linda, is already in my thoughts and in my prayers- this is real , not just an expression!

I will start seeing the unseen- I mean the result you all hope for.

As i said I will follow through this Discussion how it evolves.

My best, Linda.

xxxxxx

• Posted

Thank you! I will pray for you as well.  I am a Christian and I believe in the power of prayer.  May God send Angels to surround you and watch over you and give you a healing hand with His Grace.  I just called and made an appt to see the Doctor at my pain clinic - I've only seen PA's.  I just have a bad feeling they are going to do the RFA on the wrong level as there was some confusion about which level they did the first time - which I know was L4 - which helped my foot, but they didn't document it, and they think it was L3.  So I'm insisting on talking to the Doctor face to face first.
    • Posted

Thank you, Linda, for your words of faith, hope and good wishes - Faith is a thought on what we foreseen regardless the evidence.

We are together on this!

Great your app to see a doctor!

Go forth!!

You will get answers, proper treatment and on the way to the recovery and healing.

Take care.

xxxxx

• Posted

Ian,

Just try your best to healing and don't do to much, the more you worry and do to much you can actually put stress on you and more pain. Let's wait and see in a few weeks how you are doing before jumping the gun and everything and start you worrying. So relax and heal and let us know in a few weeks how you are doing and I will be happy to give you support to than!! No worries no stress just good thoughts and heal up!

I will check in a few weeks unless I see something from you that I can do my best to answer, been there!!

Take care

Cynthia ( cindy)

• Posted

Hi Cynthia ,

Another great word to all who are suffering!!!!

I am with with you on this!

xxxx

• Posted

Cynthia, you are so right. He needs to give his body time to recover.  Best of  luck to you, how are you doing? Did you get the Nevro removed?
    • Posted

Thanks so much - yes, I'm going to wait until I see my surgeon again in two weeks and re-assess the situation then. Thanks for the good advice and caring words.
  • Posted

Hi : I had the spinal lumbar surgery almost 2 years ago, and I'm still in pain is worse than before, after the surgery I have about 5 cortisone injections, a lot of pain killers, one of then was norco, after 3 months I stop to taken and was very bad withdraw but I did it, and did help for my pain but only a few hours so 8 quit because is a drug and you can be addicted, so finally at the end of 2015!  I try for a week the spinal cord stimulator and help about 50% my pain , so now I'm waiting for the appoitment to get done, hope I do not need to take no more medicine for the pain. Now I'm taking Gabapentin and Nabumetone and Amitriptyline besides I'm diabetic, my stomach is so upset of taking so many medicines. You are not alone , hanging in there look for help. The doctor do not tell what can be happen after the surgery, in my case they lock from L2-L5 , the pain is now in my pelvis, left leg,hip, lower back and left buttock . I wish the best for you.
    • Posted

Hi Dina, I had 3 fusions done L2-S1, and on the  left side they fused L3-L5 and put a cage in, and then they also went in through my stomach and fused L3-L5 from the front.  The L5-S1 fusion failed, so they redid it 8 months later, and now it has failed again.  From my personal experience, cortisone shots don't do anything.  I just had a sympathetic nerve block which  helped the neuropathy in my foot.  You could also try Lyrica for neuropathy.

You could also ask for famotidine to help with your stomach - it coats it i- for like taking a lot of ibuprofen, and it's cheap.

Good luck!

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.