Pain worse when lying down

Posted , 4 users are following.

so i have chronic headaches (have had current one since April 4th. all day every day.) and lately they have been getting worse while lying down. has anyone else had this problem and know of anything to help? have had many negative tests including multiple mris and ct scans. waiting to have an mra next week. its very frustrating.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

my headaches used to be unbearable laying down I would pace around all day exhausted, hope things have improved for you.

• Posted

hi Deni, did you find any relief and what helped you? because I am at the point of losing my mind. can’t sleep the pressure gets worse throughout the day and I can’t lay down because it’s awful. The doctor said I have no sinus pressure and there’s no fluid in my ears.

• Edited

I got relief after 10 years after starting propranolol given for migraine. I woke every day with pain and was conscious of it during the night, it would be base of skull, neck, over ear, behind eye, cheek, one side of my face would feel hot, shoulder tensed, the pain was relentless and as I said I couldn't bare to lay down but would be exhausted, I had more bad days than good by far. I sometimes thought it was optical neuralgia?, very painful. I dont get the pain now Hallelujah

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I just joined and I saw your post. I wanted to see if you found any relief and what helped? did anything come up on the MRI or CT scan? I have been experiencing a headache over a month and a half now. started with sinus pressure was just typical for me, but then took a different approach now it’s on the back of my skull where it meets the neck. I have pressure and pain that radiates up to the sides at both ears and up to the top of my head.

• Posted

I thought I would add a response in case it can help anyone else. I had severe seasonal headaches for years until just recently. They mostly occurred an hour or two after laying down to sleep. I would wake up with pressure in my neck, face and behind my eyes. I would pace around for hours before it would go away.

I probably tried dozens of over the counter medications and pain relievers. None of them seamed to work with any amount of consistency. People said they were Cluster headaches and to use Oxygen. It always felt like sinus pain as my sinuses would also close up when this happened. Doctors said that my sinuses were clear.

This year, when the headaches began, I started using a Neti Pot Nasal Sinus rinse. This seems to keep my sinuses from blocking and I have not had another headache since. Looking back I usually only had headaches during the summer when there are a lot of allergens and I am running the A/C constantly. I hope this information helps someone else that has been suffering.

*Some things that trigger sinus issues.

Alcohol, dust, pollen, chlorine and Air Conditioning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.