Painful and discomforting colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Two days ago I just had my first colonoscopy and it has left me feeling that I never want to have another.  I had sedation moments before the procedure so was fully aware of what was going on.  The doctor never introduced himself to me.  It was the nurses who questioned me and told me what I needed to do.   Then during the procedure it began to hurt which I communicated to them and I began to breath deeply to what I hoped would alleviate it.  Then a little later it began to hurt more. It was like something was continually being shoved back and forth against something that wasn't going to give.  "It's hurting, it's hurting" i said but the pushing was still going on.  I trusted that it was something that they had to do so I continued breathing very deeply.   One of the nurses said "you've got to the top" or words to that effect and it was then I felt the camera was being taken out of my body. 

I was taken back into the ward where the sedation started to take more effect and I felt sleepy and I definately was grateful that the experience was coming to an end. 

When my husband came to collect me I could not have driven home and would not have been able to comfortably travel by bus.  When home I did not feel like anything to eat.

But worse to come. The next day I had discomfort to the upper part of my stomach as though I had been punched and winded which made me feel nauseous.  So two days later I haven't eaten a thing.  So all in all I have not eaten for 3 days.

I realise how important these procedures are and they can save your life but what the experience has left me with is a feeling of distrust towards who carried out the procedure and whether they were competent.   When I was calling out no one tried to comfort me or explain why it was painful.  Could I go though it again -. I would be very reluctant - and if I had further symptoms I could delay going to my doctor.  The whole experience has made me feel have they missed anything and even distrust my diagnosis.  What good will come of that.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

You have my full sympathy for I too had a very singular bad experience.

where did your procedure take place?

Think you should put a complaint in as you were also treated badly the nurses also had a duty of care and should have spoken up for you.

i have put a complaint in the strange thing is I happened to mention my experience with a work collogue and he had bad experience with same doctor at same hospital. 

Something is not right and if we do not voice our corcerns this treatment will continue.

hope you are managing to feel much better. I feel the emotional scars take time. Kind regards annie

• Posted

Thank you for your sympathy it is much appreciated.  I still haven't eaten anything.  The procedure took place at Worcester Royal Hospital.  Where did your's take place and was your experience similar.

• Posted

Why weren't you sleeping ?

• Posted

The sedative was given to me immediately before the procedure. As a lay person I am sure that a sedative could not be effective within minutes.
  • Posted

Annie is right.  File a complaint to the proper channels.   It sounds like the scope got looped several times, which can be extremely painful, and/or the doctor was hitting a lot of "curves" in your colon, bumping and stretching the colon painfully, which is a sign of poor competency an/or inexperience.  Also the sedation seems like it was rushed or done incompetenly since you had minimal sedation and nearly no pain control during the procedure and heavy sedation afterwards.   I have known many people that had Colonoscopies and few of them even remembered the procedure due to the sedation.  You have my full sympathy on your horrible experience.

• Posted

Thank you for your advise it is much appreciated.  I will definately give it some thought.
  • Posted

Jane

I'm so sorry to hear of your negative experience with your colonoscopy. I was given general anesthesia and was treated very kindly by both the nurses and anesthesiologist. My only memory is of the IV insertion and greeting the anesthesiologist. My next memory is of waking up in recovery. I did experience nausea a couple of hours after the procedure. They said for me to mention that for future procedures, so that they would give me something to prevent the nausea.

Although I was put to sleep, I've read of others who have had 'conscious sedation.' I would definitely send in a complaint. If you had this experience, then there are others who have gone through something similar with this hospital and nurses. Although I don't relish a future colonoscopy, (mainly because of the prep) I feel confidant that the sedation, procedure, and recovery portions of this test are fairly unremarkable. Once again, I am so sorry that you were put though such an unnecessary and negative ordeal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.