Painful ankle 8 years after breaking my talus bone

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fractured my talus bone 8 years ago - I snapped it coming off a horse! Tore my ligaments surrounding the ankle and it was very swollen. I had 8 weeks in a cast, 8 weeks in a boot and then physio, where I gained about 95% of movement back.

It seemed ok for the first year or so and then gradually it started to swell again every time I walked on it for long periods of time, or did any sport (funny enough horse riding doesn't hurt it). I got the joint lasered and this stopped the swelling for a year or so but not the dull pain.

In the last year the swelling has come back, it hurts to stand on for any length of time, it blows up if I walk too much and I have the most painful shooting pains that seem to come up right through the middle of my ankle. Almost from the sole of the foot (near the heel) right up through.

I got and have my back done regularly and thought I had limited movement in my hips, but turns out it stems from the broken foot - I have very limited 'role' movement. The Osteopath thinks I may have developed side bone.

Has anyone else had any issues like this - what was the outcome?  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nic! That must be so frustrating and disheartening for you. Before my broken ankles, I was very active. Now I am thinking maybe I won't be able to be quite so active. If this is the case, I will be quite disappointed too. Possibly, I may have to go for shorter walks, but more often throughout the day? I see the doctor on Wednesday and am quite apprehensive. I hope things improve for you! Maybe going to a foot doctor and having an insert placed in your shoe might help?

• Posted

Thanks Ann - am I right in reading you have broken BOTH ankles? I think if you take it slowly, wear correct footwear and have regular exercise your ankles should come back to around 90-95%. You just need to listen to what your body is telling you.(easier said than done!).

I have seen a physio (quite regularly) and an osteopath (once a year) and they have both said that in time I might need to get it looked at surgically.

Good luck at the doctors!

• Posted

Thanks Nic! I fractured both ankles on the same foot; thank goodness it wasn't both feet, but I did injure my "good" foot from overuse when I was trying to get around on crutches. Silly me started doing laps in the apartment block hallway, too many obviously! Anyhow, my good foot feels better now. I must remember to take it slow and like you wrote, listen to my body. Have a nice day Nic!

• Posted

Hi Nic

I suffer with osteoarthritis and about 15 years ago I had an accident whilst walking along the side of the canal.  I went over on my ankle and slipped down the banking.  My ankle has never been right since then.  I had a hip replacement 20 months ago and I have been suffering with my foot on the same side.  

I have been been told I have damaged nerves and there is nothing they can do.  Reading your story makes me wonder if the pain is coming from my ankle.  It is down the sides, underneath and in the heel.

Do you think it is worth going down this area with the doctor.

Thank you for any advice

All the best Brenda

• Posted

I would certainly go and get it checked out. I thought it was my hip/pelvis but when I got it looked at, the osteopath didn't think I had an issue there, so he looked at the knee and then the ankle. I then explained what I had done and he checked the range of movement I had there - not a lot! So explains the sometimes sore knee and hip. 

My ankle has just never fully recovered and I know I need to get it looked at again. 

Let me know how you get on!

X

• Posted

Hi Brenda. I would see a doctor about your foot problem. You know where it hurts, so the doctor should have a good idea why it does. Hopefully it is simple, straight forward, and easy to treat. I hope things get better for you soon!
    • Posted

Hi Ann 

I have been to see a doctor.  I've seen an orthopaedic surgeon and I've had a nerve conduction test.  They tell me I have damaged nerves but there is nothing they can do except give me pain killers.  Pain killers don't make any difference only give me more problems.  I'm told I have to live with it but I keep trying alternative therapies and haven't had any success.  I get frustrated but still keep trying.

Thank you for your concern Brenda

• Posted

Hi Brenda! I thought I was getting my cast off by now. But my ankle hadn't healed enough so it is still on. I have read about  other people's experiences and after the cast is off, that is when the work begins and the ankle could hurt indefinitely. So, it seems like a never ending ordeal. I too don't like taking painkillers. Acceptance is a difficult thing for me to do. I can understand your frustration. I hope you find an alternative therapy that will work.

• Posted

Hi Nic

I went to the doctors and asked about my ankle.  He said because I could bend it slightly he didn't know what could be done.  He had had his ankle bones fused for the pain but could not bend it now.  He said it was the damaged nerves that were causing the problems and there was nothing they could do.

All the best with your problem and please keep us informed on your progress.

Brenda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.