painful attacks since age 13 (so bad i pass out)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im 32 now and have suffered attacks since i was 13 i get them at various times i was a very slim teenager and had regular attacks so bad i would pass out on the bathroom floor.

I was a very curvey size 16 all through my twenties and hardly suffered at all i thought they had disapeared and i was cured, but not the case i slimmed down to a size 10 and now i have regular attacks again just as terrible and nearly always pass out, maybe its a coincidence that being slim triggers this pain but i am curious to see if others have found the same.

I would love these awful things to disapear and stay gone but at the moment i am getting them weekly and dread the day it happens at work.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Passing out or nearly passing out seems to be common with us sufferers.

Pain is a hard thing to gauge and everyone is different but hearing how so many of us experience pain to the extreme with this, it must be something that a doctor would prescribe a fast acting pain reliever for. Perhaps morphine pills?

My attacks are almost always during the night and I am awoken by the pain just as it's starting. The last few times I didnt hesitate and gulped down 2 or 3 Anacin right away and then began my pacing. Walking has always helped me.

I am a male but it'd be nice to hear from females who've had children to share a comparison in pain levels between this and childbirth.

As for common causes, there seems to be no conclusive ones. Stress is one that comes up alot here. But even that one doesnt fit for me every time. I recently read a report online that actually makes alot of sense for a cause. I cant post part of it here but my post below yours has the web address where you can get the report, I suggest you do that.

• Posted

well childbirth cant help you there i had 2 ceasareans so i would not know!! lol but the only pain i have ever experienced that even comes close is very bad toothache and even then i wud choose toothache i checked out ur report and ave replied i did find the fartin study funny but im positive it aint gas in my case wish it was. i honestly beleive its some sort of muscle spasm well thats wot it feels like and thats why it passes after 20 mins ????? :P thanks for the links x
  • Posted

Inhaled salbutamol - the \"blue\" inhalator carried by asthmatics (brand name Ventolin, Salamol) does the job. Relaxes your a-way as well as your airway. A sympathetic doctor should prescribe it for you as it is inexpensive and effective.
  • Posted

I am so glad i have looked this condition up and have found other sufferers. I have between 20 to 30 attacks a year and lasts nights lasted the longest ever..nearly 2 hours. I tried putting on the pressure but nothing worked..I tried breathing through it (as though giving birth) but still no effect. I really thought i would end up being sick with the pain. I am now going to go docs and ask for the salbutomol as I just cant keep going on like this sad I suffer from IBS and I new i was about to get an attack as I get a mouth ulcer just before. I wish there was a magic cure for this.
  • Posted

Hello,

After reading up I asked my doctor for an inhaler and she gladly prescribed it for me. Just waiting for the next attack now but I'm in no rush !!

• Posted

Hello Nancy.

What a relief to find this forum and to know that there are others who understand how completely awful this condition is. I was always very thin, having my first attack when at 28. They continued sort of annually until I was around 33 when I stopped smoking and put weight on. I then only got an attack every 4 or 5 years until about 52 when I became diabetic (Type 2) and the medication caused great weight loss and the attacks became more regular.

I have always fainted with my attacks (a blessed relief) and they have always been during the day (associated with constipation/straining during defecating although I rarely suffer from constipation). In most cases, although the attack does indeed last about 20 minutes, it can take a day to recover from it). The most recent attack, the first at night time, was the first time I didn't faint, I just had to endure it, as it developed in to a fit of shaking, it was so extreme.

I am 62 and this is the single, most awful pain of my life. I also belong to a diabetic forum and this has never been brought up - but will now. I'll report back. Meanwhile I'm off to the doc to see if I get a puffer.

Regards,

Russ

• Posted

Sorry, Nancy. I forgot to say that I am a man, which I don't think is the norm for this condition.

Russ

• Posted

Over 300 people have read the post I put on the diabetic forum about this and there were only 2 responses which were to the negative, so I guess it sounds like I was barking up the wrong tree.

Meanwhile I've got a puffer from my GP in readiness for the next attack which I hope will be a long time coming!

Good luck all,

Russ

• Posted

Just to let you know, I am a male. This seems to be more common with females, or maybe men dont talk about it.

I've been without an attack for many months, well over 6, maybe more. Last night at 1am I awoke and knew it was well underway. I took 2 anacin and ended up pacing for an hour until it subsided. After about an hour I managed a bit of a movement and afterwards the pain quickly faded away. It was quite bad pain but I've had worse. I just hated to get this back after so long without and I have no idea what couldve triggered it. Stress was not part of my day at all and I didnt do anything unusual as compared to any other day.

• Posted

Hello fellow sufferers, Had a episode last night, always the same, middle of the night dreaming away merrily then dream starts to go unpleasant as pain kicks in. Wakes me up and the first thing I do is look at the clock, it read 03.42 am Almost every attack lasts 30 minutes although I have had a few double whammys that have lasted an hour.

In the early days I would go to the loo because it feels like your body is telling you thats what needed, but its not. In fact straining away can intensify the pain. I would also move about sitting, squatting, rolling from one buttock to the next, nothing helped, in fact it possibly made it worse.

Now I just try and lie still which I believe helps, ignore the temptation to get out of bed, try and relax and think positively that its one of the few pains you get that you know almost exactly when it will end.

The symptoms are not the same for everyone but for all of us it really is a pain in the @r$e.

• Posted

Hi, I am a 38 year old male, and after 18 months of trips to the hospital I have just been diagnosed as having Chronic Prostalgia Fugax Syndrome. I am now due to have blood tests, an MRI of the pelvis, then a barium xray and an endoscopy.

The problem is my pain differs slightly from the other posters here, so am not convinced.

I have had problems with my rear end since about the age of 13 and have had several bouts of fissures and Haemorrhoids over the years. About 2 years ago it all started again, and in April this year I finally had Botox injections to the sphincter to cure the fissures etc, but the pain hasn’t stopped.

At todays checkup the fissures have healed so they started looking for other causes and made their diagnosis, but so far everything I have read says that the pain is usually at night, short lived and relatively infrequent.

I on the other hand have been in pain almost daily for nearly two years. It can be triggered by a bowel movement, but not always. It can start quite sporadically. Once the pain has set in its agony as you have all described, but often lasts 12 hours or more depending on what I'm doing that day. i.e. I drove for one hour to work one day last week in the worst pain of my life (despite taking as many painkillers as I could stomach) sat at my desk all day then had to drive back. This equalled 10 hours of hell. Once home and resting it subsided to almost tolerable levels. I never ever get attacks whilst sleeping and in fact this is the only time I'm pain free. I usually wake in the morning pain free as well. A short walk used to help, but not anymore and often makes it worse.

I described all this to the Dr but he was still convinced, although after tonight’s trawl of the web I’m more inclined to think Ani Levator Syndrome.

Has anyone else out there had similar pain levels, and also did any of you guys have all these scans and tests to confirm your diagnosis?

RobH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.