Painful bladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

can anyone relate to my symptoms because this is driving me to distraction. I am post menopausal and am battling vaginal atrophy but at the same time I have a really very painful bladder that seems to hold very little urine. The pain in my bladder when I use the bathroom is terrible and once I have been it's ok until the next time. Not so bad during daytime but terrible during night. Am up minimum three times maximum four or five times and go to bed at 9pm and up at 5am (son has MS now blind and we care for him) we are up with him twice in middle of night. Am on estriol cream for vaginal atrophy since February/March and it is helping the vaginal issues but not the bladder.  The pain in my bladder is a stinging sore sort of feeling. Does snyone else relate to this 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Olive.  I can totally relate to your symptoms.  This is just how my bladder problems started!  I had an early menopause so my problems started after that.  Here’s the thing I learned from my lovely uro-gynaecologist.  The lining of the bladder is estrogen receptive, just like the lining of the uterus.  So the bladder can be affected by the menopause in just the same way - the bladder lining becomes thinner and gets inflamed and sore too.  I too had limited success with estradiol cream.  The only remedy for me, after years of resisting it (on my part) was to take systemic HRT (I take Kliofem) plus extra support from twice weekly vagifem vaginal pessaries.  The difference this made was amazing and for the first time in years I had months of normality and when my bladder plays up it’s not as bad as it was pre-HRT.   Without it I was housebound but with it can lead an almost normal life.  I do have bladder problems as it developed into interstitial cystitis but the IC diet (available from the IC network) is a life saver too.  When the bladder and urethra become inflamed you need to make sure you only take in bladder friendly foods and beverages.  Another helpful prescription medication is Betmiga which calms the bladder spasms and reduces night time loo trips.  Also drink plenty of water (or milk) as dehydration makes the whole situation worse as concentrated urine is an irritant.   If your GP isn’t aware of the connection between low estrogen and bladder issues then so ask to be referred to a urogynaecologist or at least a urologist who jolly well should know! I hope you get some relief soon as this is a painful and miserable, but little talked about problem of menopause.  Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Olive, have you been tested for a uti or for insterial cystitis. If not go and get tested. It sounds like ic but uti is possible. If ic you need to stay away from certain foods and drinks. No acids , caffeine, tomatoes and the list goes on. I have ic and in the beginning it was pure hell. Like u my urination would be terrible in the evening hours during bed time. I would urinate up to six times, and still would feel like I still had to go. You need to get diagnosed so you know what to do. One more thing if its ic stay away from juices of any kind., cranberry juice will feel like your bladder is inflamed. I hope this helped alittle.
  • Posted

3 months ago I started with symptoms of cystitis but all the tests are negative. Yesterday the gynecologist just touching me told me I have interstitial cystitis. What should I do? Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.