Painful chronic constipation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi people, after all day yesterday in hospital in agony, i discover yet again that my bowel is really backed up, it's not working properly again, for the 99 millionth time since i've been diagnosed with IBS. Can anyone tell me what nice soothing thing i can have to help my poor battered gut to recover?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi sam1836,

Probiotics has worked well for me in the past. I don't mean a probiotice yogurt, I mean something stronger/better like kefir or kombucha. Drinking at least 2L of water (or hydrational fluid) a day helps too (I'm only mentioning the water as I've previously asked people and they usually don't drink enough - myself included).

• Posted

I do agree with probiotics, it has worked well for me but am not sure if I did suffer from IBS. can you look at sauerkraut ( fermented cabbage ) I believe homemade is better and full of good bacteria. I am having a go at making my own just salt and cabbage.

• Posted

Thanks ladies, i thought i was along the right lines i tried Kefir and was nearly sick, it tasted disgusting! I mustn't have cabbage in my diet it leaves me rolling in pain. The only thing that seems to help is probiotic yogurt.

• Posted

Hi again,

Was it water or milk kefir you tried? Both taste unpleasant by themselves; when I have my water kefir, I just make a glass of fruit squash and add a dribble of the kefir water to it (about 3-5 tablespoons worth), which then turns it into a regular glass of squash taste-wise. Have you tried drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of organic unfiltered cider vinegar in it before breakfast every morning?

• Posted

Hi Sam. Hope you're feeling a bit better please try probiotics. I have IBS. I swing from diarrhoea to constipation. Taking a probiotic with each meal 3 times a day has helped me a lot. There are many different ones out there. Thru trial & error, I finally found the one that works for me. The one I take is called Progut .

• Posted

Do you have a redundant colon? a redundant colon is a colon longer than normal and can have more twists and turns, usually causes slow transit, bloating etc, I have a redundant colon, found this out when I had a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Hi Martin, i have never even heard of this but will ask. Thanks for that!

• Posted

Hi to everyone who has responded, finally the phonecall i needed about my coeliac test, i see someone in gastroenterology on Monday. My bowel is still really sore, still taking Fybogel, 2 sachets a day. I have tried Kefir milk and was nearly sick, it was vile! I didn't know you could get a water based one, i'll have to look for that. What's the trick with apple cider vinegar? Why do people swear by it? Can you take it with an acidic stomach, which i constantly have! As for probiotics it's only things like the yogurts i have, they taste good and put a lining on your stomach!

• Posted

Hi sam18386,

Yeah, I thought milk kefir tasted really gross too, which is why I thought I'd give the water kefir a go instead. My brother gave me some of his water kefir culture, but I'm sure you can buy some online (I bought my milk kefir culture online). I have acid reflux and drink the the cider vinegar with water every morning before before breakfast. The vinegar turns to alkaline when it mixes with the stomach acids, so it helps reduce the acidity of your stomach. My acid reflux/stomach pains have been way better for the last few months snice I started having the vinegar water in the mornings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.