Painful Colonoscopy

Posted , 44 users are following.

I am trying to collate information on this. I had one done yesterday and I have never known pain like it. I even shouted for them to stop but all they kept giving me is gas and air and telling me to breath deeply with it. It did not help. I know this is not always the case but after reading lots of messages from people where this has happened to I am trying to get as much information together - trying to see if there is a pattern i.e same doctors, same hospitals. If anyone is willing to put there experience on here for me to be able to put together some kind of proof that this does happen I will be very grateful. I feel so traumatised by this that I want to take this further but I cannot do this without any back up info. So please, I know this is not always the norm to feel as much pain as I did but I am going to try my best to get this recognised and hopefully even if I manage to stop 1 other person going through this I will be happy.

13 likes, 200 replies

200 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When I asked could I have a CT scan instead of a colonoscopy I was refused treatment if I did not have a colonoscopy I was very upset about this, having had diarohea now for 9 weeks and no one doctors do not seem bothered about me I am very upset
    • Posted

If you have a good GP, maybe have a chat with them. You could explain your fears (give them a link to this topic) and ask them if they can find out whether the endoscopy clinic use adequate medication to ensure that you are not traumatised.

Good luck. You need the examination .

• Posted

I was only offered a ct scan after my colonoscopy failed due to doc not being able to reach any further than mid ascending

colon, so they had no choice to offer a ct scan, as they must

complete the exam one way or another.

I hope you get seen soon...

• Posted

I fully agree. A CT scan is a brilliant diagnostic tool that is grossly under used, primarily because of cost alone. We should never have to undergo what I would best describe as; an ‘often’ painful journey to the centre of the Earth!

So many of these investigative and costly procedures are being wasted, because they cannot be completed fully. Times really need to change. 

• Posted

Hi am worried what if they dont offer you a ct scan do they just leave you, diarohea now for 10 weeks and still no appointment nothing, when i said i wanted a scan i was left and told if i didnt have a colonscopy i would be refused a ct scan this is the kind of treatment you get in London perhaps other parts are better but here it seems they will just leave you to die or you are so ill you go in the hospice no help here
  • Posted

A CT scan is better as a first choice before such an invasive procedure is given.However,as in my case, if a polyp is found then a colonoscopy is neccessary to remove it.

• Posted

I had one today and it was abandoned half way through it was so painful . I have a high pain thresh hold I never screamed when I was in labour 3 times and didn't use anything ie gas and air eat. But I shouted at them today it was awful  Kathleen 
  • Posted

Sorry I've only just picked up on your post,but would like to support your investigation.

My colonoscopy--about 6years ago now--traumatised me to such an extent I get flaskbacks still. However  threatening future symptoms, I could never subject myself again to this precedure. The pain was indescibable, the operative's refusal to stop turned the episode into torture.  Though a pretty inhibited individual, during this procedure I actually screamed aloud: enough to bring nurses running from other cubicles and objecting.

"Shalll I stop, then?" I heard the operative ask. Only when she did, did the nightmare end. Occurred in Royal Hampshire County Hospital. Given impetus by your post, I'll now try to find out the date and doctor's name.

• Posted

I am so sorry for your poor experience with the Colonoscopy.   In the states they don't tend to use gas/air mixture for any Colonoscopies.  Most of the time they go for the strong stuff, usually a Midazolam/Diazepam mix with Fentanyl and even Propofol to make the patient forget the procedure.  In fact it is so common that complaints about sustained memory problems due to the Midazolam/Diazepam mix is becoming a common complaint.  I know that Diazepam is not as popular in the UK as it once was like it is in the states.   In fact over 98% of all Colonoscopies in the states use some sort of sedation with these drugs.  In fact, in the states, we have a problem of physicians refusing to do "sober" Colonoscopies and sedating and "knocking out" patients without any consent even when they have sensitivities to at least one of the drugs.

I had mine without and drugs and it was a little bit rough but very tolerable, but by far less rough than I became used to as a child.   There are factors that make the Colonoscopy more painful in some people.  Women they tend to have an "atypical" colon layout, one that has more turns and twists than the textbook layout and more fibrous adhesions on the colon, which when stretched and pulled can be horribly painful.  Men tend to have straighter colons and less adhesions unless they had abdominal surgeries making the process easier. Some people have more or less tolerance to abdominal stretching, how much pain they are used to in medical procedures, and some people are far more movitated to have it done without drugs, up to the point of being willing to endure almost any level of pain to have it done without drugs simply because they hate being "out" in front of medical personnel unless there is no other choice.

I would look for a place that do use pain and sedative medicine for your next Colonoscopy if possible because of your horrible experience.  No one should have to endure a Colonoscopy without drugs unless they explicitly state they want to do it without drugs.  Unless you have sensitivity to the drugs you should be able to have at least some pain medicine during the Colonoscopy.

• Posted

I had everything that was offered, I was completely out of it but heard someone screaming.. It was me in excruciating pain and apparently vomiting with pain. Took me a while to come round when I was told they had to abort the procedure. Ended up having a CT scan. Not nice but bearable
    • Posted

I believe there is too little study into why some people can easily tolerate a Colonoscopy done without drugs, like I did, and one cannot tolerate one even with maximum use of drugs.   I am profoundly sorry that you experienced such agony.  Like I said, no one should have to go through such a procedure in agony because that is traumatic to the patient.  I can tell you that at the endoscopic facility where I got my Colonoscopy patients can opt for full anesthesia as if it was major surgery, not just sedation.  In your case if you had to have another Colonoscopy all you have to say is that your last one was horribly painful and they would immediately get the most senior Anesthesiologist on duty to prep you without hesistation.  This facility has at least one full licensed anesthesiologist on duty as long as the facility is open in case of situations like yours because sometimes certain endoscopic procedures recommend full anesthesia.
  • Posted

Thinking again about this question of "agonising colonoscopies". You, Vonney63, are obviously hoping to publicise the problems of this procedure onto the desk of someone who could get the whole practice re-examined. Thank you.

Have you found whether there is an authoritative body where our voices can be heard? This is only 'yet another' internet forum, so how do we help organise a protest against what is obviously a very entrenched, nation-wide, but barbaric medical practice?

Can anyone help us by suggesting a way forward?

Especially women, I believe, are subject to more pain than men--( more convoluted bowels, childbirth, etc.) Aren't most  operatives men? Is this why the practice has continued so long?

Best wishes to all.

Let's get the

• Posted

Yes, you need to push for NHS to allow Colonoscopies under General Anasthesia when it is a necessity and not just sedation.   Is it possible your GP can help in this endeavour?  I can't while I am working in the states.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.