Painful colonoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a similar experience yesterday. After 3 attempts they stopped trying. So unlike my last experience where I was totally unaware and woke up in recovery. I think they have changed the sedation. Now have to do it all over again.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had 2 colonoscopies in the past 5 years.  The first one hurt.  The last (recently) I remember EVERYTHING!  They had significant difficulties and while the nurse pushed all over on my belly, the doctor was continually trying to ram the scope through.  I personally think it had something to do with multiple abdominal surgeries over the years and scar tissue, but they didn't actually say that. Both procedures were done by different doctors.  When I told the 2nd doctor of my first experience, she assured me that I would be fine and that was done by a different doctor.  The following day when they called to check on me I was still in horror form the pain.  The nurse said they gave me the maximum amount of meds they legally could and I must have developed a resistance.  She also said, "Don't let this discourage you from having another one down the road....because there are "other" ways we can check.  She didn't elaborate but I believe it may have involved the barium xrays.  (which I would take over a colonoscopy ANYTIME)  I would have to strongly consider having it redone and would ask for an ALTERNATIVE option.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.